Granite worktop V Silestone

1carrot2

I am sourcing a worktop for a new kitchen we are constructing. I am looking for a light coloured (e.g. cream) stone surface. I have found that all the light coloured granite we have seen has a lot of flecks / grain in it. I would rather a more solid colour throughout. It was explained to me today in 'Marble & Granite' showrooms that this is the nature of light coloured granite. However, they showed me another stone surface called silestone. From what I can gather, it is a Quartz composite material. It looks and feels very much like granite but the colour options suit me better.
Has anybody any experience of this product, negative or positive?

Hi,

Can't comment on silestone but wonder have you considered corian as mentioned here. Perhaps the colour selection might be better.

1carrot2,

We're thinking of getting cream/sandy coloured granite worktop too but wasn't too keen on the flecks either and thought the colour scheme might be a bit clinical - cream high gloss units and cream tiles. We'd add colour with the splash back tiles and other colours in the kitchen though. What colour are your units and tiles? Interested to hear more on the silestone or corian options.

I've just got Silestone in. It looks and feels as good as granite. I'm told it won't stain like granite and it is very strong. I got the Mont Blanc

Red30,
We're getting walnut kitchen units and a cream porcelain floor.
Ted,
How did the Silestone work out pricewise compared to granite?

Can somone give a source for silestone in Ireland, googled it but did not locate an Irish supplier, sounds like a possibility for my island.

If you google quartz worktops, you will get the same thing. The main granite suppliers stock it.