Granite hearth for solid fuel stove on Junkers?

alert

Hi guys,

We are planning to install a granite hearth for a large, 11KW, Stanley solid fuel stove in our living room.

Because the house is underfloor heated we have Junkers flooring in the room.

What we need to know is if, in addition to bedding the granite in concrete in the fireplace , it is possible for the Junkers to support the weight of the granite and the stove? It's a pretty big stove so we intend most of it sitting outside of the fireplace.

Thank you,
ALERT.

Hi, Why not stop the timber flooring at the hearth rather than having hearth on top of the timber flooring (or maybe I misunderstood your posting). I will also be doing much the same, though do not have timber flooring installed yet.

Hi ennisjim,

I could cut the boards but am reluctant to do so if they can take the weight of both granite hearth and stove, (which is really heavy!).

I'm also concerned because Junkers are not nailed to the floor, (it has underfloor piping in it), but "floats", that there would be a lot of movement in them if they were cut. And, I'm not sure how, if I did cut them, the edges could be neatly and safely contained, perhaps there's a piece of metal that can "clasp" the junkers, (not unlike the metal between a carpet and door threshold), and I can bend to suit? Either way, it seems a lot simpler to put on top if the Junkers can take the weight.

Thanks

ALERT.

So some of the granite hearth is on concrete and some on the floating floor !!! Sounds a bit strange. Will there be any issue with movement of the timber beneath the hearth during expansion/contraction, etc ?

Also, we have timber floor butting up against our hearth (current house) and there is a nice brass strip around the hearth which hides the edge of the timber and allows anbout 1cm for movement. Can't remember where we got it but it works fine.

If the floor boards are running parallel to the wall that the stove is going on you will have to ensure that there is some expansion space.

If the floor boards are running perpendicular I would chance it and put the granite on top of the boards but only under a max of 1/3 of its area and do not stick it to the boards.

Back