Grangerath, Drogheda

S

SoulTrader

Thinking of looking to buy in this estate? I am looking at the prices and it seems 4 beds semi-d are 370/380 and 3 bed semi-d are 330/340.

Are these prices realistic or should they be around 20 grand cheaper on both counts? Help please and thank you!!

Sounds about 30k overpriced to me. In Navan 3 bed semis have fallen from 317k at the height of the market to around 280k now - and even cheaper than that if the truth be told !

I agree, I know numerous people who live in Grange Rath and apart from the great location, it's also a well above average estate in terms of maintenance and also facilities which would be why there were houses on the market there last year for a million (think it might have been a bit more, can't remember an exact figure).

Not sure I agree. Drogheda is further from Dublin than Navan. Maybe having the train line makes houses a bit dearer though....

Yes, it's a bit further to Drogheda but not that much!

Dublin - Navan = 48.12km
Dublin - Drogheda = 50.21km
(from AA route planner!)

There's an estate across from Grangerath on the Dublin Rd in Drogheda (Deepforde) which is selling new 3-bed semis for 329k if I remember.

Grange Rath/Deep Forde are a bit far from the train station to be considered an advantage. You really need to drive to the station and the parking in the train station is a nightmare (full before 7am) and doesn't show any sign of improving.

I think Matthews Coaches run a bus service from Grange Rath to Parnell St in Dublin which would be a better bet than the train.

I'm not sure why anyone would pay such money for a house which is ultimately in a very large housing estate. I think if I was spending over 1 million on a house, I'd want a bit of privacy and a nice site too.

I'm not sure why anyone would pay such money for a house which is ultimately in a very large housing estate. I think if I was spending over 1 million on a house, I'd want a bit of privacy and a nice site too.

I completely agree!! and the million € houses looked really odd- like you'd expect a multifunction office/ creche/ library to look or something. And the gardens are tiny. Was funny, when they went on sale I think half of Drogheda went up for a noisey!

If I'd a million I certainly wouldn't buy in a housing estate either. Grange Rath is very lovely for a nice 3bed semi-d but if I'd millions in the bank I'd want much more for my buck.

It is a nice estate if you have a local job. Commuting to dublin is pain in a***. The parking at train station is full by 7am. The M1 is crowded from 6.30am onwards. Also the size of estate ****ed me off, it is like a concrete jungle. Try wheaton hall or roschoill from where you can walk to train station.

FYI, I sold my 4 bed semi in grange rath early last year at slightly less than 400K. I originally paid 240K in 2004 for that house. If I have to buy the same house today, I won't pay a single euro more than 320K (20% drop than last year price).

Grangerath is a decent estate - some green are massive, its large estate but its well laid out with all facilities, tennis courts etc. New shopping center looks massive - probably as big as Scotch Hall itself! Isn't there some sort of shuttle service from Grangerath to station?

The only down side I can see is that its not walking distance to the train station. Best way to commute, if its an option, is train. Station car park fills up real quick. There are nice estates near the station too, like Wheaton Hall, Roscoil etc but houses are more expensive and of course, older too!

Yes , Grange Rath has a shuttle service to/from the train station , connects with all the commuter trains.

Yes, there is a shuttle service to train stations. It is fine in morning but the last service in evening is at 7pm. If you finish work at 5.30 in dublin, walk to pearse connolly and take a 5.50pm/6.15pm train, it will be over 7 by the time you reach drogheda. Moreover it is 12 euro per week. This is on top of annual ticket which cost more than 2K.

The shopping complex is under construction since 2005. Don't know what it will open? There is a creche, good green spaces, all-weather football pitch and a concrete tennis court. Main issue is commuting to dublin is 12-13 hrs door to door. By the time you reach home, there is barely any energy left to get a cup of tea, forget playing tennis.

Wheaton hall is 8-10 yrs old but houses are perfect red brick. Roschoill was built at more or less same time as grange rath - prices are quite comparative. It is 5-10 mins walk from train station. Essentially you don't have to worry in morning/evening about getting to train station/home.

If you still want to buy, just go there and rent out for 6 months. The number of increasing "For Sale" sign boards in the estate tells the rest of the story.....

Just a quick note to say there is a small estate between Grangerath and Roschoill (Castlewood). It is closer to train and town and a much MUCH smaller development (40 odd houses!). There are a few for sale, which is unusual but propbably a sign of a quiet market! Look at daft!