Gps

C

Cobhite

Family going to south of france for 2 weeks in july. Previous holidays have resulted in much frustration and strife due to map reading and bad road signage... Solution?? GPS!! Anyone have advice for good gps system with detailed western europe maps??

TomTom GO is one of the best. Easy to use, detailed maps, and cheapish.

You CAN pay less but for ease of use and accuracy, I've been led to believe that the GO is a good choice.

Two popular options are the Tom Tom ONE Europe, which as the name suggests has maps of Ireland, UK and Europe. Retails for €349 in Halfords. The other option may be the Garmin Muvi 310 Deluxe which has European maps but is more expensive at €469 (also in Hlafords). The advantage that the Garmin seems to have is that it is Bluetooth enabled and you can make and receive call through the Sat Nav.

Or another one is the Airis T920 EF. Got it from Pixmania for about €260. This one with the maps for Europe:

Also have the Airis but got the one with all of europe preloaded for ease of use when travelling to europe (as opposed to loading different maps depending on where u are) for €288

Worked fantastic in South of France a couple of weeks ago even for minor roads.

fantastic folks, thanks a million to all of you! Boy, am i glad i found askaboutmoney!!!

also, look into renting one. I have used one a few times, and it is great for going where you are a total stranger. It is a lot to fork out on something you will only use rarely, unless you are one of those who seem to tack it to the windscreen for the trip home from work, just to get some use from it.

Just to mention, although not on their website yet, that Aldi are doing a Sat Nav next Thursday (15th) for €199. It is a make called Evesham and on the Aldi flyer it states that it has the latests Navteq maps. Unfortunately (or should that be strangely) the version Aldi will be selling (Serial No. 6400) does not appear on the Evesham [broken link removed].

Two popular options are the Tom Tom ONE Europe, which as the name suggests has maps of Ireland, UK and Europe. Retails for €349 in Halfords. The other option may be the Garmin Muvi 310 Deluxe which has European maps but is more expensive at €469 (also in Hlafords). The advantage that the Garmin seems to have is that it is Bluetooth enabled and you can make and receive call through the Sat Nav.

The Garmin Nuvi 610 is better - much better screen (especially the viewing angle), larger memory, more features. Of course, it costs more money - c. €600 in Halfords.

I would be wary of buying the cheaper no-name brands from Aldi or wherever until I see for certain that they have the latest Irish maps. You may also find that they are great at finding addresses in countries that have postcodes but cr@p in Ireland where we have to spell everything.

Back