GPS in mobiles?

Slaphead

Anyone know which phones do this best?

Im moving home from abroad and have been in my local phone shop who claim that all Nokia's have uptodate maps installed with them and some have Satelite GPS (the n75 & Nokia 6110).
Whats the situation in Ireland with this and does it cost extra from maps or GPS?

O2 Orbit has built-in GPS receiver and with business account you'll also get Co-Pilot navigation software.

The Nokia N95 has GPS built in, Buy funny enough the forget to mention that you need to pay for the navigation software to make full use of it.
I found it very slow & can take anything up to 10 minutes to aquire your location.

Do all modern phones allow you to install maps for free? Ie GPS without the voice and showing you where to go?

The Nokia 6300 and N75 seem most appealing to me. Im presuming none of the O2 pay as you go phones allow this.

It compitable with most modern phones but..

"MGMaps version 1.32.00 is out now, it finally includes basic support for directions. The Search/Get directions option allows you to specify a start point and an end point and gives you a list of turning points that you can view on the map. The actual route line will be drawn in future versions of MGMaps. This version also includes a number of bug fixes."

Doesn't sound like a true GPS app to me yet. I can see the route in my app and make dynamic changes to it e.g. road ahead blocked 1km and app will reroute - great when you know about roadworks. You will find a copy of Garmin for €97 at mysatnav.ie which will be compatible with most phones with GPS - call the guys at mysatnav and they can advise.

Eoin

I am not affiliated with mysatnav

It's not GPS but it'll do me. Im normally printing out google maps and finding my way around with them. I dont fancy paying extra for GPS or having to pay for when im connected, probably be more stressful than actually being lost! Those google maps are so detailed anyway it wont be hard to figure out where you are.

Then why do you want a phone with a GPS module? Why not get a phone that will take a 2GB SD card that you can store google maps on an browse that way. BTW I tried this Java application on my Orbit..it failed to install. Would suggest you check with another orbit user if you plan to use.

Eoin

If GPS was cheap enough i'd go for it but if i can get maps for free i'll take it instead.

the N95 gps can be used for free - its just the voice navigation that has to be paid for - so you see the screen with arrows etc as you progress. regarding locking onto a signal it improves with the latest firmware update.