gps garmin v tom tom

gar123

hi there

looking for a sat nav system, and have been looking at the garmin streetpilot 510 and the tom tom navigator 6

basically i drive a lot for work, dublin, outside dublin and will be travelling to scotland, looking for something easy to use,

do you need to pay monthly aswell like a phone or do you just pay for maps and update downloads?

does anyone use any of these two at the moment?

thank you

Hi Gar
I bought a Tom Tom end of last year had it for 3 months brought it back and got a full refund. I drive a taxi in Dublin and would not advise anyone to use a Tom Tom they are not up to date I tried to up date maps was told they were the most recent available. After usng it I dont think they are safe if I had followed some of the routes it choice I would probably have ben arrested or crashed. Friend has armin seems lot better

Hi
I have a Garmin Nuvii 300 which I bought last June and was very unhappy with, however I finally got the latest map updates which were released late 2006 and now find it excellent. The latest maps are City Navigator NT Europe v9 and are installed currently on all Garmin products. They claim almost 100% coverage of Ireland and UK and seems to be decent coverage for rest of Europe

PS the updates when the eventually were released were free, but think that was as my unit was still under warranty, normally update would have been US$75

hi
bought a nuvii 350 from mysatnav.ie a month ago
very happy with it
v good in dublin bar the odd one-way st
faultless out in the sticks so far, search by name or enter co-ords
even better in the uk - free speed cam info
came with europe maps - latest version
was expensive enough i thought to buy local (rip-off ireland etc)
could have got bit cheaper from uk (amazon) but wanted local supplier in case all went wrong
make sure you only get one with the features you need rather than the full bells and whistles
M

I second that, I bought the Nuvi 300 also and before the update to version 9, it was poor crap outside Dublin etc but now it has nearly every small road and street throughout the country. The Nuvi 300 is the basic version, you can get more fancy versions with bluetooth etc but the basic satnav maps are still the same. Would highly recommend it now that it almost 100% coverage of the country.

i bought a nuvi 660 recently and it has saved me tons of hours and more than paid for itself. granted it does get the odd one-way road wrong but that's largely due to Seamus Brennan and his multi-coloured city centre direction boards but i would def. recommend getting one. the one i have has bluetooth and mp3 player and all those bells n whistles but if you don't need em don't get the 660 and go for the 610 instead. i don't have a carkit so i went for one with the bluetooth.

whichever one you get, you'll wonder how you lived without one!!