GPS feature on Nokia Mobile - Worth getting?

Clars1909

Hi all, I'm due an upgrade from Meteor and I'm getting a Nokia, as usual. I can get one with GPS if I pay a healthy supplement, it would be really handy for me and I'm always looking up google maps before trips anyway. (this is the source the GPS uses, right?)
I was wondering just how well this feature currently works on a mobile - does any one have any good or bad stories on this?
I'm a bit wary cos my experience with mobiles is that any newish features take a couple of generations to get all the kinks ironed out....is that the case for GPS?
Thanks!

Last edited:
Either way on the nokia its not a good idea. For the ongoing costs of the licence you would have a dedicated device.

Either way on the nokia its not a good idea. For the ongoing costs of the licence you would have a dedicated device.

+1

Mr C got a new phone with this feature, and used it for the entirety of a 45 minute journey - not realising that he was paying download charges to do so. Cost over €200! It might be handy for doing a quick plot of a route before you set off, but it is definitely far too expensive to use throughout a journey.

You'd need a data package to use things like Google maps because its a web site and it will need to keep hitting the web. I assume a proper GPS on a mobile phone wouldn't need to do that.

You can download the maps free if you connect the phone to your PC.

Even downloading on the go should not cost anything like €200 for 45 minutes as the amount of data is quite limited and is only sporadically activated .

Be aware the standard Nokia package gives positioning and silent routing only. Voice navigation (which is essential for driving) is a monthly charge.

The newer nokias (N96 and N97) have much better gps than the older ones such as the N95. they also have A-GPS which works indoors from the mobile signal rather than satellite

on the new nokia`s you dont even need to put a sim card in the phone to use nokia maps,so it does not cost u a cent..

the licence fee you pay nokia is a yearly fee around 70 euro and that gives you the voice with the gps ie. when to turn and so on

my boyfriends brother has this function on his mobile and 2 b honest it's not really the best because the screen on the mobiels are so small you can't really make any of the street names or anything. I'd ask them to show me how this works on the mobile your purchasing before you actually take it...

Update: from talking to O2, I learnt that it was downloading the maps that cost so much (as AlbacoreA mentioned). Adding on a data package takes care of that little problem! Interesting that you can download maps via PC - thanks for that, HighFlier.

Just to say I got a new phone with "location tracker" which is all that I needed. All the maps are already downloaded so now I'm happy (and not lost!).
Thanks to all.

I had a Nokia Navigator until recently, a great phone, Sat Nav / GPS built in, no extra charges on phone even when used in the UK. Highly recommend but havent seen them around much anymore.

I still use the Nokia Navigator, a great phone, maps come with it , no extra costs. My model is the 6110 but newer models have come out since

Back