GP Fees for 8 month old

Tubbs

My young lad (8 month old) has gone down with a bug. We took him to the GP and had him checked over and were prescribed some antibiotics.

We were charged 40 by the doctors for the checkup and charged for the prescription also (at chemist)

I was quite taken aback by GP fee and prescription cost but didn't challenge it as just wanted to get our very upset little man out of the surgery.

I had assumed that a 8 month old (or minor) would get free checkup at docs.

Can we claim this back ? or is this perfectly normal and acceptable for an 8 month old to be charged the same for a checkup and prescription as a full time employed adult ?

Yes it is perfectly normal. Unless you are entitled to a medical card or GP only card or have cover fron your VHI/BUPA then the charge is the same as an adults in my experience. Only children up to 6 weeks are free and also children's immunisations are free and thats it.

You can of course claim this money back on your med1 form for expense in excess of 250 euro for a family at the marginal rate of tax.

I had assumed that a 8 month old (or minor) would get free checkup at docs

Firstly I don't think forty euro is expensive for a professional medical opinion but that aside why do you think a doctor should not charge you for a professional consultation? I don't see what age or size has got to do with it tbh.

Fair enough if thats normal (when in Rome and all that).

I really do see 40 euro (for 5 min consultation) as being very expensive.
If we were getting a first class service then no I wouldn't see it as expensive but unfortunatley we don't get that.

Fair argument on why size and age should not exempt from GP fees but why does it exempt the elderly then ?

On that score, my 8 month old is unemployed (he's between jobs !) - can I get a medical card for him then ? or unemployment benefit ? or housing benefit ?

Thats fine, thanks for the replies. Know where I stand now.

Our local GP costs 55euro per visit. There is a notice in the surgery where the fee is incremented per additional child, i.e if you brought 2 children in at the same time

I needed to call out a doctor the other evening for our six month old and it was 75 euro.

i have to agree that i think its a disgrace in this country that kids are not free for GP visits. In my opinion any child for which you are entitled to child benefit for should be free medically or at the very least reduced cost.
Much and all as people in the UK complain about the NHS at least they have free primary health care...I think one of the parties had proposed it at some stage as part of their health strategy but didn't hear much about it.

"i have to agree that i think its a disgrace in this country that kids are not free for GP visits. In my opinion any child for which you are entitled to child benefit for should be free medically or at the very least reduced cost."
Just to clarify, children are entitled to two free visits to your family doctor following their birth under the Maternity and Infant Care Scheme. Normally the first visit takes place at 2 weeks, the second at six weeks.

Vaccinations and Immunisations provided under the Childhood Immunisation Scheme are also free of charge for all children.

It's also worth noting that children in Ireland may hold a medical card or a GP Visit in their own right (even if their parents don't) where they are granted a card by their HSE Area. This will entitle the child to free visits to their GP, free approved prescription drugs and medicines, exemption from hospital charges, etc.

HSE Areas have discretion regarding the issue of medical cards and GP Visit Cards and anyone who is unable to meet their medical costs out of their own income (irrespective of whether this is in relation to any of their children or themselves) should apply for one.

In addition, children referred for further treatment in a public hosptial as a result of school health checks are entitled to that care free of charge.

Also, your HSE Area is obliged to provide free dental health services to pre-school children (and children referred from school health checks).

HSE Areas also have discretion to waive public hospital charges in respect of certain people if the cost of care provides undue hardship.

The income means tests for medical cards and GP Visit Cards are clearly outlined on the Dept. Health and Children website (and on the Oasis website). If you think you may be entitled, then I would urge anyone to apply.

Hope this has clarified matters.

Are you suggesting that although I do not qualify for a medical card there is a mechanism whereby I can get one for my child?

michaelm said:
Are you suggesting that although I do not qualify for a medical card there is a mechanism whereby I can get one for my child?

Yes, but remember, entitlement to medical cards is a complex area, so I'll try to keep this simple.

It's not simply a case of where you are not entitled to a medical card that your child can automatically obtain a card in their own right.

There are however some situations where a child may be granted a medical card in their own right even though the parent wouldn't ordinarily qualify on income grounds. That is, the parents income may be larger than the income guidelines for entitlement to medical cards normally allow.

Examples of such instances might include (e.g. where the child has a certain medical condition that requires significant ongoing treatment, or the child has a disability where treatment for that condition places (or could place) the family under a burden of undue financial hardship. In such cases, the child may be granted a medical card in their own right for either a defined period (i.e. the period of treatment), or a longer period as determined by the HSE Area.

Another example where children are granted medical cards in their own right includes children placed in long- or short-term foster care. In that instance, the child is entitled to a medical card (or care equivalent to that provided by a medical card) in their own right - even though the birth family (or the foster family) of the child may actually have an income in excess of the income guidelines.

Yet another example of where children are entitled to a medical card where the parents may not be, includes children affected by the drug Thalidomide. (I don't believe however this affects a significant amount of the population any more).

People (including children) who contracted Hep C through the use of Anti-D or other blood product or transfusion are entitled to a Hep C Health Amendment Act Card. This card provides them with equivalent entitlements (and often enhanced) as a medical card.

There is also an entitlement to a medical card under EU provisions relating to employed/self-employed people, pensioners and their dependents who are residing in Ireland provided they are not liable to contribute to the Irish social insurance system, or in receipt of an Irish social welfare payment).

As I mentioned earlier, I could go on, but this is a complex area.

Apart from some of those I mention above who have automatic entitlements to medical cards, the general rule is that the HSE will take each case on it's own merits and evaluations are on the basis of the medical conditions concerned and whether or not the family can provide for any costs associated with care without incurring undue hardship.

In my experience however, the granting of medical cards to children in families where they would not normally qualify generally tends to relate to children with serious medical conditions or disabilities, where the normal costs of providing adequate care would put a family under serious financial pressures.

Sorry for the long response but I hope this has clarified matters.

CMCR said:
Sorry for the long response but I hope this has clarified matters.
It does, very much so; thanks for taking the time to type it.

In your experience, (assuming, possibly wrongly, that you or yours work for the HSE) might it be fair to say that it is relatively easy to obtain a GP visit card but that, despite increases in income thresholds and allowable expences, the HSE are reluctant to give out medical cards and are trying to shrink the numbers of such cards issued?

Just quickly to qualify, neither I (nor mine) work for the HSE.

In answer to your question, the issue of whether or not it is 'relatively easy' to obtain a GP Visit Card - is subjective, either you qualify under the income guidelines under the Scheme or not, but the HSE has discretion to issue cards in exceptional circumstances.

Every Scheme has to have some rules and I think the reason the GP Visit Card was introduced was to assist those who were just above the income limits for medical cards and who didn't fall into the exceptional categories where the HSE could award full cards.

The purpose of the GP Visit card is to help those (particulary low-income families, lone parents, people on the minimum wage, those with long-term illnesses and low incomes etc.) with the costs of frequent visits to their family doctor. Often such costs can be prohibitively high - particulary in relation to families with a number of children, etc.

I don't think the HSE are reluctant to issue medical cards (in fact, they would likely argue that there is a shortfall in applications given many people fail to apply because they think they are not eligible, or they may be just outside the income guidelines).

The above however is just my opinion. I don't know if this answers your question, but you are free to PM me if you wish.

"Also, your HSE Area is obliged to provide free dental health services "

We've never once been contacted by our local HSE service about bringing our pre-school child for dental health check.

Additionaly, I thought the school cental checks had a legendary repuation for years long waiting lists for any actions

Just to clarify, children are entitled to two free visits to your family doctor following their birth under the Maternity and Infant Care Scheme. Normally the first visit takes place at 2 weeks, the second at six weeks.

If you choose to go with a Private Obs and not the combined GP+Obs- alternating visits you dont get two free post birth visits.

In relation to the original query, check if your health insurance covers GP visit and claim the excess on med1 in January 2007.

I was speaking purely from the perspective of someone's entitlement to health services - under the public health service. The Maternity and Infant Care Scheme is a public scheme - ergo where the mother participates in that scheme, her child is entitled to two free GP visits following birth under that Scheme.

If someone opts not to join the Maternity and Infact Care Scheme - then that is a matter for them - there is no obligation on anyone to join.

In relation to taxation of medical expenses issue, it's worth bearing in mind that the first 125 euro in medical expenses per person does not qualify for relief. Where several dependants are the subject of a claim (i.e., family members) the overall restriction is 250 euro for the group.

Again to clarify, I am speaking about rights and entitlements established by law.

Section 67(2) of the Health Act 1970 provides that health boards 'shall make dental, ophthalmic and aural treatment and dental, optical and aural appliances available in respect of defects noticed at an examination under the service mentioned in section 66'.

Section 66 of the Act states 'A health board shall make available without charge at clinics, health centres or other prescribed places a health examination and treatment service for children under the age of six years'.

Waiting lists for services (as frustrating and vexatious as they may be) are administrative matters. I was referring in my various posts above to duties and obligations that are established by law.

However, I would imagine that where a dental problem was detected through a normal GP or public health nurse visit in a child under 6 years, that such treatment would be available through the local HSE dentist. The 'examinations' referred to in the references to the Health Act above relate to school health examinations.

Presumably however, if a dental problem existed in a pre-school child then they would also be referred for treatment. It may also be feasible perhaps that the parents could contact the HSE dental practice directly for advice but I am not sure about this.

The purpose of this post is to clarify that there is legal basis for these services.

CMCR