Govt pay rise deferred

Graham_07

So when is a U-turn not a U-turn ??? Looks like no Moet & Chandon on Berties christmas table this year.

Damned if they did. Now damned 'cos they didn't it seems

Yes, that's the strength of it.

Damned, because they shouldn't have in the first place
and now damned again because they are weak 'leaders' with no backbone. Cowards.

Do you think that they should have abolished the system that has been in place since the 1960's?

Do you think that they should have abolished the system that has been in place since the 1960's?

I have heard this a few times. What exactly is the system? Who is the independent body that looks at pay levels? What do they look at and who do they compare pay levels to? Do they take pension benefits into consideration? What levels of performance appraisal are carried out? What sort of accountability exists for these people?

To me it just comes across as another con job like benchmarking in that there is no transparancy in the process. Just because an independent body decides something doesn't make it right. I don't know if the pay award was justified or not. I think they should have taken it after taking all the flak anyway over the last couple of months. I would just like to know more about how these sort of awards are made.

What planet are these guys on?? Is it any wonder most people feel that politicans (of all sides) have lost touch with reality.

I have heard this a few times. What exactly is the system? Who is the independent body that looks at pay levels?

[broken link removed]

I think the report is online too if you google it. These guys, apparently, are close to Fianna Fail and appointed by Bertie, so not as "independent" as one would think.

The deferral of the pay hikes does not auger well for future pay negotiations. Remember the unions were not exactly jumpoing up and down. asking Bertie not to take it, when the award was first announced.

Bertie also said that the unions "understand" such rises.

Now Bertie will turn around next year and say "Right lads, I deferred mine, so youse can defer youse for a few years, eh?"

[broken link removed]
Now Bertie will turn around next year and say "Right lads, I deferred mine, so youse can defer youse for a few years, eh?"

Well, let's hope so. Although Bertie's only deferring for one year, as far as I understand it.

The U-turn is a good thing, though. It's not a good thing, if one was opposed to the pay rise in the first place, to gloat.

Back