Government should start another SSIA

Don't forget that pension tax/PRSI relief is pretty generous and open to all taxpayers.

I think what possibly puts people off the pension idea is that your savings are locked until retirement so cannot be used before this time. The timeframe of the SSIA was good as you saved for a few years but if necessary after this time could use the savings as needed. I think another plan like this would be great.

I think what possibly puts people off the pension idea is that your savings are locked until retirement so cannot be used before this time.
Some people might need to take a longer term view of their financial needs.

Some people might need to take a longer term view of their financial needs.

for those of us who have our pension sorted out then some shorter term savings scheme like the SSIA is appealing.

Why should the Government subsidise this though?

The Government don't subsidise it - we (taxpayers) do.

I am happy for some of the taxpayers funds being allocated to people that decide to save in the short term instead of other projects. Maybe in a time of ever increasing personal debt, savings habits should be further encouraged.

It just seems to me that unless people are encouraged to save by means of an SSIA type thing, increasing credits would just get absorbed into the household monthly bills. I take the point that pension contributions are a way of doing this (and a pretty tax efficient way too) but a lot of people just don't want to invest in a pension.

Perhaps some of us would like the government to provide:
- somewhat decent educational facilities
- moderate health service
- some public transport options
to name but a few, rather than waste billions buying an election.

I'd rather they just gave me back my money.-

Perhaps some of us would like the government to provide:
- somewhat decent educational facilities
- moderate health service
- some public transport options

like both!