Government Plan re Low Energy Bulbs

M

mercman

Well Well. John Gormley's plans to turn Ireland into a Low Energy Lighting Paradise appears to have gone very dark. According to the News last Evening and today's papers, the EU have given the idea the big thumbs down. Prior to this ruling I traveled many electrical stores to view the alternatives. There is not a great selection available yet. The LED lights only give out minuscule light and others, like myself find it very difficult to read with the Low Energy Bulbs. As well as that what were the Public meant to do in the case of light fittings which bulbs could not either be found, dimmer switches that cannot be used for this type of Bulb, or the alternative replacements for the Halogen Bulbs which do not fit the holders without looking ridiculous. And now I read from the BBC website that the dumping of these Bulbs will have to carefully monitored and safeguarded as there is mercury contained in the low energy bulbs. And for those who couldn't care, it did look like that it would have been easier to purchase Grade A narcotics than to purchase a 60 watt standard light bulb. I know he means well - surely without spending the Government Euro, his department could and should have done a little bit of homework. Any comments ???

I think he meant well. People should try and use more energy effiecient lights in areas where they can. But as you said they are not bright enough in some situations, reading etc. Also they don't make them in suitable shapes for chandeliers, which could also be an issue.

I didn't hear this, am very suprised as in July at an EU summit, the EU announced their intention to ban incandescent light bulbs by 2010.

Many countries (including Canada and Australia) have already banned non energy efficient bulbs.

Low energy bulbs not suitable for bathrooms either or anywhere that lights are frequently switched on and off due to the time it takes for these bulbs to "light up"

You can get standard fittings for those square 16W fluourescents for bathrooms in a round housing which seem to balance low wattage with instant full brightness.

Sure you can get special fittings for anything. The fact is most people don't really want to purchase new light fittings when the old bulbs start blowing. An expensive answer to what should be a cheap problem.

Back