Government announces UK travel ban

I’ve a friend that’s a GP. He and none of the other GPs in his town had vaccines last week. The expect them this week.

Anecdotal evidence is just that: anecdotal.
A sample size of one isn’t large enough to be scientific.

I’ve a friend that’s a GP. He and none of the other GPs in his town had vaccines last week. The expect them this week.

Anecdotal evidence is just that: anecdotal.
A sample size of one isn’t large enough to be scientific.
I'm not saying it's scientific. I'm wondering about how vaccines are distributed.
Are GP's asked how many patients they have in the first group that are to be vaccinated or are they just sent a shipment?
What's the protocol for spare vaccines if they can't get all of that group vaccinated?
That sort of thing.
My parents have been offered the vaccine but they are not over 80.

For some reason I can no longer quote since the changes, but you made reference to the fact that there is alot of gambling going on, of course there is thats how you make progress. The pharmaceutical companies gambled that their technology would work for the vaccine, Pfizer and AZ and the sputnik vaccines were successful, Sanofi, merck and GSK vaccines were not. Yet they still had to spend billions , that was a gamble. The UK gambled on AZ and going all in to vaccinate as many as possible with one dose. That's a success, you don't get breakthroughs without taking gamble. Ultra caution is not a strategy, if we followed that theory we would still be dying of small pox, tb and polio

I wish Micheál Martin would tell us what he means by "summer" - My meaning of summer is May, June and July. But, the way politicians reframe what they say "summer" could mean anything.

I agree. What part of summer is he referring to I am also wondering.
When are we ever going to hear clear messaging ?.

I wish Micheál Martin would tell us what he means by "summer" - My meaning of summer is May, June and July. But, the way politicians reframe what they say "summer" could mean anything.
Probably what the Met Office say summer is; June, July and August.

He said “mid-summer”. I take this to be 21st June.

The UK gambled on AZ and going all in to vaccinate as many as possible with one dose. That's a success, you don't get breakthroughs without taking gamble.

It’s been a success so far this year... but time will tell.
There’s a lot of conflicting data on the three month versus three week gap between Pfizer vaccine jabs 1 & 2.
Last week I heard jab 1 is 50% effective, this week I heard it is 85% effective. And then I heard its efficacy drops off markedly after four weeks. It’s just too early to tell.

I think I heard something else though, and maybe someone else can confirm, that the UK’s strategy accepts up to 30,000 Covid deaths in the next 18 months.

Back