Government announces post Christmas restrictions

Sunday night I think it was over over 400 people accommodated by BA putting on extra flights from Heathrow. Im not making this up btw

Never said you were but that was one flight to cater for overbooked flights earlier in the day. And it arrived into Ireland just before Midnight when the restrictions hit. And the Government gave permission for the flight to operate. Not denying that people have used Belfast and Derry to travel home for Christmas but lets not have conspiracy theories that this is being somehow organised and facilitated by the airlines as a way around the restrictions.

Let's face the reality as to why the Covid situation in Ireland has worsened.

1. Tony Holohan returned to work after a period of leave and even days before he was due to restart he advised for immediate restrictions to be put in place. He was told in no uncertain terms by Mr Varadkar and Mr Martin that his function was to advise and the government would do the rest. Mr Holohan retreated with his tail between his legs and restrictions in place were eased.

2. In the first days of December we were promoted to Level 3 from Level 5 without even going to Level 4. Before that was to happen the Covid infection rate was to be reduced to between 50 - 100 daily infection cases. We came nowhere near achieving that. I think I pointed out this on another thread on this forum. I argued that commercial reasons were being given undeserved priority. The infection rate skyrocketed and still nothing happened to fight it.

3. Even then we had champions of the Commercial and Hospitality industries informing us there must be no further restrictions. News of the vaccine becoming available gave many a false sense of security. Environments were going to be regulated and there was much talk about "Normality" being near. The lies abounded and too many believed them.

4. Public Transport was allowed to carry extra passengers. Some stores increased their trading hours. Shebeens opened, self distancing almost died, wearing of masks grew less and anybody who thought the situation was in full control was wrong. Many Pubs that could supply food were found to be supplying drink only. Some hotels issued keys to their patrons where if raided by the gardaí could "prove" that they were guests overnighting when they actually were not.

5. Where we are now has been one mighty cock up by our political leaders and commercial interests. Next time I suggest the political people listen to the facts and NPHET.

Let's face the reality as to why the Covid situation in Ireland has worsened.

1. Tony Holohan returned to work after a period of leave and even days before he was due to restart he advised for immediate restrictions to be put in place. He was told in no uncertain terms by Mr Varadkar and Mr Martin that his function was to advise and the government would do the rest. Mr Holohan retreated with his tail between his legs and restrictions in place were eased.

2. In the first days of December we were promoted to Level 3 from Level 5 without even going to Level 4. Before that was to happen the Covid infection rate was to be reduced to between 50 - 100 daily infection cases. We came nowhere near achieving that. I think I pointed out this on another thread on this forum. I argued that commercial reasons were being given undeserved priority. The infection rate skyrocketed and still nothing happened to fight it.

3. Even then we had champions of the Commercial and Hospitality industries informing us there must be no further restrictions. News of the vaccine becoming available gave many a false sense of security. Environments were going to be regulated and there was much talk about "Normality" being near. The lies abounded and too many believed them.

4. Public Transport was allowed to carry extra passengers. Some stores increased their trading hours. Shebeens opened, self distancing almost died, wearing of masks grew less and anybody who thought the situation was in full control was wrong. Many Pubs that could supply food were found to be supplying drink only. Some hotels issued keys to their patrons where if raided by the gardaí could "prove" that they were guests overnighting when they actually were not.

5. Where we are now has been one mighty cock up by our political leaders and commercial interests. Next time I suggest the political people listen to the facts and NPHET.
Agreed on all parts but personal responsibility has been chucked out the window too.
I love my pint and where I go for one really did pull the stops out with screenings and revamped the entire place it was/ is immaculate if everyone sat down had their pint and a morsel, mine being vegetarian curry it worked fine, but the beer garden was a free for all with prams , young children etc .

I just don't get the narrative that we must have drink to feel normal, and I have had my nights before this pandemic, but now its the shed , and Mr Moretti.

And I'm not saying that its pubs alone its our general trait of justifying the unjustifiable, Tony H was a national hero in the spring, took time to be with his sick wife now he's probably the most maligned person in Ireland, we have done this to our own for centuries and it hasn't changed.

Sadly it would appear that we just can't be responsible and watch out for our fellow citizens, it deeply frustrates me .

Under the regulations...
Any of the diaspora wishing to spend Christmas Dinner around the table with family or friends would have had to arrive before 11 December.
Anyone arriving on are after 11 December would have to eat their goose, sprouts, etc., in their bedroom/rented accom/hotel room/etc.

What are the odds.....?

Another example of how weak/fantastical we have been on travel.

And the variant is already here...

Back