Gov Levy €40

Thrifty1

Hi, i have searched for threads on this and am still confused, so apologies for any repetition.

My Mam got a CC in Oct. for a trip abroad. She no longer uses it, but is wondering if she closes it now will she be liable for the €40.

I think yes. If she decides to hang onto it for another few months will she be liable for the levy in April or next Oct when she took out the card.

Also if it is idue n April and she closes the card in the coming Oct will she be due for it again in Oct.

Sorry if confusing.

I believe she will be liable for the €40 for last year and will incur the €40 stamp duty for this year if she closes it before Dec 31st 07. The charge is applied for the previous year, and the current year on closing of the account.

EDIT: Sorry, thats for Debit Cards

Credit Cards run from April 2nd to April 1 the following year
If she doesent use it again after 1st April she can close it anytime without incurring the charge.
[broken link removed]

My understanding would be that if she closes the CC account before 1st April she will have to pay a €40 tax. If she hangs on to the card for a few months she will be charged a €40 tax on April Fools Day anyway and have to pay a further €40 on closure of said account.

Back