Gourmet Burger Kitchen - House Wine

MandaC

Went to Gourmet Burger Kitchen over the weekend. Mam ordered a glass of house white (large). It was not a huge glass but bigger than the small glasses you usually get.

Anyway got the bill, shocked to see the glass of wine at €8.35. Crazy Money for a burger joint in a shopping centre. Had left but decided to check the menu on the way out. Noticed the wine charged for was the most expensive on the menu.

Went back and asked girl at the counter which was their house wine - to which the reply was " we dont have one". I asked why were we not told that when we ordered a house wine - reply was - did you ask for Savignon - no I asked for house white. Well, we gave the most popular wine (popular for who I wonder)!

If they had said they dont have a house wine, we would have picked one ourselves - but to just automatically give you the dearest option is not good practice in my opinion. As far as I am aware that is more expensive than wine by the glass in the likes of Roly's Bistro.

Hands up it is our own fault for not checking the prices - but I wont be caught there again, so just be careful!

Went to Gourmet Burger Kitchen over the weekend. Mam ordered a glass of house white (large). It was not a huge glass but bigger than the small glasses you usually get.

Anyway got the bill, shocked to see the glass of wine at €8.35. Crazy Money for a burger joint in a shopping centre. Had left but decided to check the menu on the way out. Noticed the wine charged for was the most expensive on the menu.

Went back and asked girl at the counter which was their house wine - to which the reply was " we dont have one". I asked why were we not told that when we ordered a house wine - reply was - did you ask for Savignon - no I asked for house white. Well, we gave the most popular wine (popular for who I wonder)!

If they had said they dont have a house wine, we would have picked one ourselves - but to just automatically give you the dearest option is not good practice in my opinion. As far as I am aware that is more expensive than wine by the glass in the likes of Roly's Bistro.

Hands up it is our own fault for not checking the prices - but I wont be caught there again, so just be careful!

Thats a disgrace!
I hope you spoke with the manager.They should have told you they dont do house wine ,when you had specifically asked for it.I was in gormet burger dun loaire,which may be different to the one you went to ,and as far as I recall they did do house wine.
The least they could have done was give your mam the glass of wine at the cheapest on the menu.great customer service!!Not.

Been to Roly's a few times ....... the last two for Early Bird. Three courses just over E26 and two course a few euros less. Excellent always. The house wine is just over E5 a glass and is always well chosen. I was at a Gourmet Burger Kitchen in the UK a few weeks ago and felt that the burger (although tasty) was overpriced.

Our Philosophy

We are committed to offering our customers the highest quality products along with the friendliest service available. Most importantly, we know that our partner, you, the customer, is best served when we listen to your needs very carefully. We have adopted a farm to fork philosophy and believe that all the food you consume in our restaurants should be fully traceable. Not only will this ensure the highest quality to you but it also promotes Irish suppliers and farmers.

Please let us know what we can do to make your time at even better.
Is this the same place?

I don't think I remember that spiel. It was Buffalo meat ........ or so the menu stated. I know there is one in Ranelagh Village that seems to do an OK trade.

Isn't this owned by the same people that own Abrakebabra?

Yes Abrakebabra and Bagel Factory I think. I cant find an email address for GBK in Ireland, only the Abrakebabra one.

Thedaras, the philosophy you have is for a different one - Gourmet Burger Company as opposed to Gourmet Burger Kitchen, but it is the same principle.

Should have known something was going to go wrong when the glass had to be sent back in the first instance as it had some nice lipstick stains.....Yuk! I will add that my mam saw her pour the wine into what was obviously a dirty glass because she looked at it and then poured it into another glass, which, when it came down was the lippy one. I would have hated to see the first glass.

What annoyed me was the fact that we asked for house wine and were not told at the time there was none - thats it really. I did say to the Manager - do you know there is a recession on in this country - you need to be getting customers in, and they wont come in with house wine @ over €8 per glass. His reply was, well today is a quiet day for us - we are usually busy(!)

There was no offer to charge the glass of wine as against a cheaper glass of wine, which I would have expected and in all fairness not taken him up on - but the problem with some of these outlets is that the management dont really have a clue how to handle complaints.

Anyway, will say that it was 100% my/our fault for not reading the menu properly. Just wont be caught again.

We ate one night in the Gourmet Burger branch at the Pavillions in Swords. Burgers and buns were grossly overpriced for what they were. Packed out - though this will change after the Budget. These joints seem a poorer version of similar up market burger restaurants in London and NYC.

If they don't have a house wine they should have handed you the wine list and asked you to select the one you wanted. They had absolutely no right whatsoever to do what they did. Saying they gave you the most popular wine is no excuse. I also doubt that the most expensive wine on the list is the 'most popular'. How many people, nipping in somewhere for a burger, are going to pay over €8 for a glass of wine. It sounds to me like they got a chance to rip someone off and then lied blatantly when they were queried. I think you should post this thread to the Manager. I certainly wouldn't give them business after reading about your experience.

Back