Got money from Social Protection. Don't know why!!!

Wollie

Hi
Just over €7,000 appeared in my bank account, courtesy of Social Protection, a couple of days ago. I don't have a clue what it relates to. I can't get anyone in the Department, as there isn't a number to press if they sent you money that you haven't asked for!
Does anyone know of a glitch in their computer system that might have caused this? Whom do I contact to return the money?!

Were you on PUP at any time during the year? There was a backlog of arrears to be paid - maybe that was it?

Thanks for the replies.
Yes, I'll email them to see if I can get an explanation.
No, I haven't been on PUP at any time. It occurred to me too that it could have something to do with PUP, either classifying me incorrectly as an employer or as an employee.
@mathepac Appreciate your offer, but no thanks!
I'll try to remember to give an update on this forum when I eventually discover why it happened.

Hi
Just over €7,000 appeared in my bank account, courtesy of Social Protection, a couple of days ago. I don't have a clue what it relates to. I can't get anyone in the Department, as there isn't a number to press if they sent you money that you haven't asked for!
Does anyone know of a glitch in their computer system that might have caused this? Whom do I contact to return the money?!

Very honest person, my faith in humanity is restored :)

I suspect a letter of explanation is on it's way and as so many civil servants are working from home the post and bank are not in sync

as so many civil servants are working from home the post and bank are not in sync
I suspect they're just not working, any excuse. 3 weeks since I applied for my new driving licence. The old one is out of date tomorrow and it's now a week since I emailed them asking for an update. No response, no acknowledgement, not even an auto-reply.

Thanks @Sue Ellen. I'm stone-age on technology, but I have tax advisers who look after my returns. They would surely have seen if there was anything on there. They are equally baffled.
I'm sure that all will be revealed in due course. In the meantime, I'll try to make sure not to spend the money - not easy at this time of year!

Thanks @Sue Ellen. I'm stone-age on technology, but I have tax advisers who look after my returns. They would surely have seen if there was anything on there. They are equally baffled.
I'm sure that all will be revealed in due course. In the meantime, I'll try to make sure not to spend the money - not easy at this time of year!

Can't imagine that they would regularly access your mygov account and check it for messages but I would only deal with it on a personal basis for myself so don't know a lot about that aspect.

You need to get this investigated/sorted and to be seen to have done something to cover yourself so make sure you send off the e-mail at least.

I suspect a letter of explanation is on it's way and as so many civil servants are working from home the post and bank are not in sync
Yes! The letter arrived today! It tells me that "the wrong PRSI class has been paid" for one of my former employments (which terminated a few years ago) and they have refunded the overpayment. The amount credited to my account was the employee's share of the refund. It makes me wonder what my tax advisers were doing, that they didn't notice that I was being overcharged at the time.
A nice surprise just coming up to Christmas!

Hi Wollie,

Congrats on the windfall. Perhaps you could share the nature of the original incorrect PRSI payments? This may help other users.

Last edited:
Perhaps you could share the nature of the original incorrect PRSI payments? This may help other users.
All I know at present is what DEASP said in their letter, that 'the incorrect PRSI class has been paid'. First thing tomorrow, I'm getting on to my former employer and my tax advisers, to find out what exactly happened and why. I'll also check if other people were affected. In fairness to Social Welfare, they've probably contacted other people (if any) affected by this error already, as it was they who alerted me to it.
I suspect that it may by due to the fact that I changed from being under to over 66 (or whatever the relevant age is for change of PRSI rates) during my (temporary) employment with that company.

A further update, which may be of interest to anyone who is lucky/unlucky enough to be working past their 66th birthday (you decide whether it's good or bad news to be still working at that age!).
My understanding (as a layman, not a tax expert) is that, for PAYE income, PRSI is payable for income received up to your 66th birthday in the year, but not afterwards. For non-PAYE income, no PRSI is payable for income received in the year in which you turn 66.

Back