Got a Whatsapps message earlier giving a link to TodayFm and the Electric Picnic

RichInSpirit

Just wondering is this message a scam and how they got my number ?
The supposed TodayFm site started with Http not Https which most sites are meant to use now.
I deleted it without opening it just in case.

WhatsApp is owned by FaceBook, so I'd have reservations about using it anyway. One family member insist s on using it so I coperate with her for the odd message.

They claim end-to-end encryption using Open Whisper Systems technology but I ain't so sure as they use public networks to transport the messages. Others, such as Apple's Message app for iOS and macOS, supply in-device encrytption / decryption but as a further security feature use their internal private network for the transport infrastructure.

Have you queried WhatsApp/TodayFM/Electric Picnic?

Last edited:
Just wondering is this message a scam and how they got my number ?
The supposed TodayFm site started with Http not Https which most sites are meant to use now.
I deleted it without opening it just in case.

They don’t have to get your number, just as they don’t have to get your email address. A couple of hundred bucks gets you a rack of Raspberry PIs that will generate them for you. Some will be wrong, but enough will be right to make it worth their while.

I love WhatsApp. I dont care who owns it. I hope my messages to meet my mistress cannot be hacked, but its unlikely.:) If it gets polluted with ads that will be very upsetting.

Thanks everyone for your replies !
I deleted the message without taking a screenshot so I don't remember the exact wording.
It came from an 087 mobile number that I didn't recognize.
I never got unsolicited stuff on whatsapp before.

Back