Got €5000, what is the best car to buy?

G

gillianb

I want to buy a new car and have got €5000. I am toying between the idea of buying a 1998/9 Golf or a similar year Mazda 323 or Corolla. Or should I go for something 'deemed' less reliable but newer - like a Renualt or a Peugeot? Ultimately I want reliability but a little bit of style wouldn't hurt either!

Any advise please.....

Stick to the Japanese and Germans for reliability.

Mazda's are much under-appreciated imho.

some other suggestions:
00ish Ford Focus (probably a bit more reliable than golf but not as favourable in terms of style)
late 98-99 SAAB 93 (if the minimum 2 litre engine is not too big for you - reliable - depending on your view: either very stylish or utterly horrible!)
Peugeout 206 (no comments!)
you may get a new shape 01 Renault Laguna for that price range as well, it's a very nice and comfortable car but is not famous for its reliability.

Stick to the Japanese and Germans for reliability.

Mazda's are much under-appreciated imho.

According to a lot of surveys German cars are NOT as reliable as most people believe them to be. Japs yes, almost every survey has them on top few spots!

Go for a Focus...cheap enough, good to drive, good looking and cheap to service. Should be reliable enough for a car costing €5000!

According to a lot of surveys German cars are NOT as reliable as most people believe them to be. Japs yes, almost every survey has them on top few spots!

I'd agree up to a point, Muffinsda - even Mercs quality control has slipped in recent times, in the same way that BMW did in the early 90's when they got mega-popular.
However, talking to people I know who have German cars- and that's a good few people both here & UK, the problems tend to be with peripherals and are annoying rather than keeping you off the road.

But yes, for overall trouble-free motoring, best to go Japanese.

Just stay away from the French stuff, in my experience!

Guys...thks so much for the responses. I hadn't really thought about a focus. Just checking them out now and liking the hatchback version.

Cheers again!!