Gorey/Ballymoney- nearest emergency/hospital facilities?

Pixied

Hi

We are looking at this area to live in.

Can anybody tell me where is the nearest hospital/emergancy clinic in the event of an emergancy?

Someone mentioned to me the only options are Loughlinstown or Wexford general..is this correct?

Also where do the ambulance/fire service come from that serve this area?

Thanks a mill!!!
P

Re: Gorey/Ballymoney- nearest emergancy/hospital facilities??

Your nearest Ambulance as far as I can tell is from Arklow.

While there is a District Hospital in Gorey, its is little more than a nursing home for transfers from Wexford Hospital.

Wexford Hospital is slighlty closer than Loughlinstown, but N11 north is better road than N11 south of Gorey.

Last edited:
Re: Gorey/Ballymoney- nearest emergancy/hospital facilities?

I think I would get out of the stretcher to drive south!

Both Gorey and Arklow have fire stations, both part time.

I think you might be being a bit fatalistic and over-thinking the move.

Lol yeah you could be right..

But I have a little one, somebody pointed it out to me and I thought it could be important enough to ask.

Cheers!

But I have a little one, somebody pointed it out to me........

There's the Caredoc which you can call upon outwith normal hours, based in Gorey.

I was slightly concerned about this too when I moved to the area, I killed two birds with one stone by joining a voluntary organisation that trains me me as an Emergency First Responder, at least if the kids fall out of a tree or something I know what to do.

Hi, perhaps slightly overthinking the move but I understand your motives for doing so. My friend lives in Gorey and had to drive 50 mins to the hospital when having her baby and was given a caesarean straight away as the baby's heart rate was dangerously high. Luckily everything is okay but the 50 min drive would not have helped matters if she had waited

But driving across Dublin could easily take 50 minutes.
Wexford maternity care is excellent.

TBH, as you have a child, I would be more concerned about schools. Primary schools are good, but there is only one mammoth secondary school. No choice at all.

Thanks all for the info.

I had also thought the secondary school was very large, but I had not heard anything else about it. It seems to offer a lot of subject choice, but other then that my husband and I know very little.

Has anyone any experience of the community school? I know there are some secondary schools in Arklow also.

There's also a girls convent in Gorey and a whole range of schools in Arklow at secondary level - the community school, St. Marys for girls and the CBS for boys

There's also a girls convent in Gorey and a whole range of schools in Arklow at secondary level - the community school, St. Marys for girls and the CBS for boys

The community school is the only second level school in Gorey at this time. It has a good academic record but is very overcrowded. From Ballymoney you could hook up with the private contractor who operates a bus service from the area to St. Mary's (not sure if he covers other schools).

There was talk of a new second level school in the town but it all went a bit quiet.