Google street view for Ireland

if someone is going to break in they will break in. i don't think there is a gang of criminals sitting around a laptop looking to see what is around a house before they "off it"...

A few Daily Mail readers on AAM I see

When I started this thread I thought it would be on a free resource available to all.

Didn't think it would be about burgulary

Reminds me of Joe Duffy last week.

Helen: It's terrible Joe, you can see my two daughters outside the house. I don't want their faces visible on the internet all over the world
Joe: Can you see their faces?
Helen: No, their faces are phased out....

And if you are bothered about your house then that picture was likely taken in 2009.

That is the only way they would've been able to take the picture, unless they plonked the vehicle into the ditch.

As for you, here is a link to a pic of a google streetview car.
There were people employed all over Ireland, indeed all over the world to capture data

[broken link removed]

There is nothing captured that I would not see if I drove a tractor past your house

if someone is going to break in they will break in. i don't think there is a gang of criminals sitting around a laptop looking to see what is around a house before they "off it"...

Spot on, criminals do check out areas and look for attractive targets. Been doing so since time began.
An 18 month old photo isn't much use, if they want to burgle your house they are still going to do it and check out the area

Check out the image at 53° 0'34.99"N, 9° 1'48.20"W (copy and paste co-ords into GE search).

I think I might be missing something - a hedge in an unnamed road in Co Clare ?!

The Father Ted house? (Apparently that's where all the money from the boom ended up. Just resting in the account, like. Hope the burglers don't break in now.)

Yeah, I'm in the minority with my views on this application no doubt about it

Still I just don't like it. I very much value my privacy. Don't like facebook either but I can see the benefits of it for others.

The benefits of Google Street Maps simply evades me other than for pure nosiness, at best. Would love someone to point out some real advantages of it.

If there had been people in my front garden I would request to have it blocked, as there are not I will leave it there, for now......

Still I just don't like it. I very much value my privacy.

Not flaming here... I'm really just wondering how you perceive this. The Google Streetview image shows a still frame from roughly 12-18 months ago. What does it reveal that somebody standing in the road in front of your house can't see? What is the difference between the image being displayed on the internet and someone being able to see your property in real time, in real life?

The benefits of Google Street Maps simply evades me other than for pure nosiness, at best. Would love someone to point out some real advantages of it.

As I've said before... this is just down to necessity and imagination.

LOL - why the dramatic: "for now..." ?

Just request that it's removed if it's a niggle at all in any way ?!

Didn't mean to be dramatic, but can see how you read it that way, lol. A bit like "I'll be back!!!"

"As I've said before... this is just down to necessity and imagination. "

and as I have asked before can you give me the benefit of your imagination as I am coming up with nothing other than what I have stated. Trotting out the above statement is not really enlightening me in any way.

and as I have asked before can you give me the benefit of your imagination as I am coming up with nothing other than what I have stated. Trotting out the above statement is not really enlightening me in any way.

Are you still living in the village or area you grew up in?
Do you know anyone who emigrated, recently or even decades ago?

Now you have the chance to talk a virtual walk down the street.
If you emigrated abroad you may never get the chance to return. Or may not want to return but you can still look

Or you might be moving to a new city for work, or maybe your child is going to a new college.
You can virtual walk the commute. Have a look around the area.

You can check out your holiday destination and not just the good photos on the travel website. They won't show you the dump beside the hotel. Google street view will if you do a lap of the hotel

Remember where you proposed/got proposed to? Go view the area and put a smile on your face

I could stay typing for hours.....
Your imagination can do with some work, it's rusty

These range from a woman filing for divorce after her husband's car was pictured outside another woman's house

Really, Daily Mail, did that really happen or did ye just make it up?

One thing it can be useful for is if you were going to rent or buy a house, you could get a good idea of not only what the house looks like but its location in relation to the town and ameneties, rather than relying on the description on the web of "only a short stroll to the beach".

Thanks, now at least I understand what you see in it.

The checking out the hotel I would do but it is well out of date, so much can change in a year, a new dump could have been built. Also the emigrant that won't be coming home will probably get something out of it.

Nothing there that I find compelling to be honest. My imagination is fine, believe me, no problems there. I will admit I am not a particularly curious or nosey person so therein may be why this just doesn't rock my boat.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Nothing there that I find compelling to be honest. My imagination is fine, believe me, no problems there. I will admit I am not a particularly curious or nosey person so therein may be why this just doesn't rock my boat.

I used it to look at my childhood home - its only down the road so I could have driven down but I wanted to see it from the comfort of my sitting room.

Then I went off and looked for the restaurant I worked in one summer in the US. The restaurant is gone but the street is still there and I felt very nostalgic seeing the old place and how its changed.

Then I spent the next 3 hours looking at different places - I could have stayed there all night having trips down memory lane.

I dont think its about being nosey - its more like getting the old photo albums out and having a browse - except now we are browsing through space instead of time.

OK, I looked at some homes from the past, parents old place etc, yes indeed it did make me feel nostalgic.

It's getting dark now so time for me to activate the electric fence, lock the alarmed gates and let the 5 Rotties out .

Very cool (and accurate) way of putting it TS !

Could even be a tag line in an advert - I can just imagine the deep voiceover !

lol - Cheers Caveat.

I thought of another use of it last night, I had a virtual walk from my childhood home to where I live now - its good for people with limited mobility to have a good look around - as opposed to just flying past in a car and not seeing much.