Google Error Message: Genuine or Spoof?

ajapale

Google [SIZE=+1] Error[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1] [/SIZE] We're sorry...

... but your query looks similar to automated requests from a computer virus or spyware application. To protect our users, we can't process your request right now.
We'll restore your access as quickly as possible, so try again soon. In the meantime, if you suspect that your computer or network has been infected, you might want to run a [broken link removed] or [broken link removed] to make sure that your systems are free of viruses and other spurious software.
If you're continually receiving this error, you may be able to resolve the problem by deleting your Google cookie and revisiting Google. For browser-specific instructions, please consult your browser's online support center.
If your entire network is affected, more information is available in the Google Web Search Help Center.
We apologize for the inconvenience, and hope we'll see you again on Google.
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif] To continue searching, please type the characters you see below: [/FONT]

I got the Google Error Message above after an innocuous search.

Is it genuine?

Notice that the Google colours are all wrong and that there is no TM mark.

Google

The AV and ASpyWare links are to download.com

Thanks Clubman,

I figure its genuine....but whats with the phoney looking Google Logo? These corporations are always so precious about their corporate image. This logo would not be worthy of a phisher!

This message is legit and can be caused by quite a few things.

Do you use Firefox? Try disabling all your plugins/extensions and reactivating them one by one to see which one is causing the error.

Alternatively, it genuinely could be a virus or trojan. Run a decent AV or spyware remover to get rid of it.

Or it could be a problem with your internet Provider.

You are assigned an IP number by your internet Provider when you connect, if this number is re-used with other customers then Google will see all the requests as coming from the same place.. and can show this message.

I used to get it when I was with Three Mobile broadband.. Rapidshare would also say I had just downloaded a file when in fact I hadn't. I cancelled my account with Three because of this and other reasons.

I'd advise you to get onto your internet provider and ask them about their IP allocation policy.