Good value solicitor for house conveyancing

taytoman

Hi

Can anyone recommend a solicitor either in the city centre or in dublin 15 for conveyancy. I am moving to a larger house. I am well aware that the 1% + VAT charging structure is out the window, and was considering home buy/ home sell scheme from the credit union. Any views on this (1K + VAT + search + land reg fees), or are there cheaper alternatives?

I assume that I have to pay both for the conveyancy on the house I am selling and also on the house I am buying?

Re: Good Value Solicitor for House Conveyancy

recently paid solicitor 1200 euro including vat for conveyancing. It was a remortgage of my main residence to buy investment property. Land registry fees ,searches etc added 400 euro to the above bill.I found this solicitor a lot cheaper than one through the credit union membership scheme/

Re: Good Value Solicitor for House Conveyancy

Haille

Could you pass me on their name if they are in the dublin area?
Thank you

Taytoman

Re: Good value solicitor for house conveyancy

I see a nice offer on REA.ie for €499 plus VAT if you go through them for a mortgage for €250k or more....

Cheap does not equal good value.

I can tell you (from experience) that it is worth paying for the services of a good solicitor-unless you are extremely laid back.

I am not a solicitor.

I would totally echo the last post. I bought a new house with my ex and paid over 2k to a solicitor but it was painless; selling the house and re-buying (using a well known solicitor in the D15 area) was a pain but 1k. Once the vendor's solicitor heard who mine was she groaned. It took forever and he was obnoxious and lazy

hello,

We have used Paul McNally solicitors in Crumlin for a couple of house purchase / sales over the last few years. None of the transactions were straightforward, but things got sorted through the hard work of the solicitors. Can't recommend them highly enough.

Themetunegal

PS> no affiliation to the above!

Has anyone used the services of www.homelawdirect.ie? My own solicitor is attempting to charge 1% + charges + VAT for the sale of my house valued at €375,000. She is very competent but I think the €4000 that she would charge is exorbitant. Thanks

[broken link removed] is not a solicitor as such-you will be allocated a solicitor from a panel, so it is impossible to give a general opinion on how good/bad the service is without knowing which solicitor you will be dealing with.

There's only one homelawdirect solicitor in Galway as far as I know. I'm trying to haggle with my own solicitor to reduce her 1% but she won't budge on it. Although, as you have said previously, it might be better to pay for a good service. I'm not sure!

Why not shop around and see what other solicitors charge? Get recommendations if possible.

Thanks. I asked some people at work for solicitor recommendations and got someone who seems very competent for .6% + VAT + charges. That seems more reasonable.

Bear in mind that's still €2,250 + VAT plus outlays which could easily be another €1-2K.

Hi, members of the credit union can avail of certain solicitors at e1000 +vat I used one to buy and sell my property recently He charged 2000 for the purchase of my farm , but it involved house and land seperately, (different stamp duty rates), which was why it was dearer. Name is Aiden Fitzgerald (No affiliation with above)

Does anyone know what the going rate is for conveyancing in 2015 Dublin?

For both buying and selling...