Good tip if buying in the UK...

PetrolHead

Many of you may have done this already or be aware of this 'trick' but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

A friend of mine has just bought a car in the UK and imported it. He saved a huge sum by going to a main dealer and asking for the trade price. They agreed on the basis that the car was to be exported and they would not have to offer any warranty, the car was being puchased for 'cash' without trade-in and it was, to all intents and purposes, a hassle free, easy sale.

The salesman actually said larger discounts were on offer from the bigger dealers with multiple outlets but as they were a single outlet independent company, he was closer to the 'boss' and more accountable for revenue/profit etc...

So when looking in the UK screw the main dealers down for a trade price.... My friend paid nearly half his VRT with the discount he got!!!

very interesting . what type of car did he get and how old. i was considering getting a car from a guy who buys from auctions on an order to order basis. but if i could get a better deal going this route . would be v interested to find out more