Good recipe for veggie burgers?

Caveat

Anyone got a good tried and tested one?

If you know, can you state how many burgers the recipe makes because I intend to increase qties to make about 20 and freeze them.

Thanks

That mad woman who eats nothing but roots and beans Gillian McKeith does a few recipes, but I don't have the book and haven't tasted them, but it might be worth a google.

Otherwise I'm a keen veggie burger eater and I don't mean that Linda McC ones that are low protein as all they are are vegetables, rather than protein. Anyway I am now eating one from the health shop called Granose Veggie Burger. It's about 2e for a packet of 4 burgers (2x2). You simply add water and wait for it to re-constitute itself. It is scarily so like a real burger. There was another one in a soup pack like bag called Real-Eat but apparently it's discontinued, but if you see it in the health food shop defo buy it, it's so yummy, very sesame seed type flavour. Or you could try quorn mince or soya protein mince and make your fav burger recipe using either of those meat alternatives? This one looks nice too...http://www.delish.com/recipefinder/veggie-bean-burgers-recipe?click=recipe_sr

If you're becoming veggie or like to eat healthy veggie meals, Good Housekeeping do a great book, I have it for years and I love it.

Granose Veggie Burger

Thanks, yeah tried them and I think they are quite nice but I'm talking about making my own from scratch, without soya etc - just using vegetables/grains etc.

I'm a 'semi-veggie' in that Ms caveat is a veggie, but quite often we eat the same meals.

I have a good recipe for nut loaf if that helps.

Why does that sound slightly lewd, or is is just me?

Please give it to me then Vanilla - I'll take anything at a pinch.

Why does that sound slightly lewd, or is is just me?

I got this recipe out of a magazine for a "Vegetarian feta club burger (with coriander-avocado pesto, slow dried tomatoes & olive mayonnaise)" some time ago. I think it looks very promising (although a bit involved!), but I haven't actually tried it yet. If you're tempted to try it perhaps you'd report back if it's any good!

Burger
-: Ingredients :-
1 chopped onion
120g crumbled feta
1 tbsp chopped mint (fresh)
125g breadcrumbs
3 tbsps gram (chickpea) flour
1 large egg
Salt & pepper
Oil (vegetable or sunflower) for frying

-: Method :-
Mix the onion, feta, mint, breadcrumbs & gram flour in a bowl.
Add the egg, season with salt & pepper, mix well and chill for 30 mins.
Shape into approx. 8 flattish burgers.
Heat the oil and fry the burgers gently for 3 to 4 mins each side.

Coriander Avocado Pesto
100g fresh coriander leaves
1 crushed garlic clove
Flesh of 1 avocado
2 tbsps parmesan
2 tbsps lightly roasted pine nuts
100ml good quality olive oil

Pop everything except the oil into a blender and whizz until fairly smooth.
Stir the olive oil in slowly to make a thick sauce.

Slow Dried Tomatoes
8 halved ripe plum tomatoes
1 crushed garlic clove
1 tbsp fresh thyme
1/2 tsp sugar
Coarse salt & ground pepper
60ml olive oil

Heat the oven to 200C (*) while you mix the garlic, thyme, sugar, salt & pepper.
Place the tomatoes on a baking tray and rub the mixture over the cut sides.
Drizzle the oil on the tomatoes and place in the oven until very soft and dried.

Olive Mayonnaise
3 egg yolks
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp white wine vinegar
Salt & pepper
250ml vegetable oil
2 tsps lemon juice (**)
2 tbsps finely chopped black olives
1 tsp chopped capers
1 small crushed garlic clove

Put the egg yolks, mustard, white wine vinegar and salt & pepper into a bowl.
Slowly whisk in the oil (you need to pour it in a slow steady stream).
Keep whisking until the mayonnaise is thickened.
Add the lemon juice, then the chopped olives, capers and crushed garlic.

To serve :-
12 slices sourdough bread (thinly cut)
Iceberg lettuce
50g rocket
Slow dried tomatoes
2 sliced hardboiled eggs
Olive mayonnaise
Coriander avocado pesto

To assemble :-
Spread 4 slices of the sourdough with plenty of olive mayonnaise.
Top each with the leaves and then a burger.
Then top with tomatoes, sliced egg, then a generous amount of the pesto.
Top with another slice of bread and repeat the layers again.
Put another slice of bread and push down firmly to hold the club burger together.

This is one burger you won't be able to pick up in your hands to eat!

(*) 200C seems a bit high to me, I think the tomatoes might burn, the recipe doesn't state how long they should be in the oven for.
(**) I think I would probably use lime juice rather than lemon.

Thanks TreeTiger - it does sound a bit involved - and a bit 'posh NY deli' too. Might give it a go though!

(*) 200C seems a bit high to me, I think the tomatoes might burn, the recipe doesn't state how long they should be in the oven for.
(**) I think I would probably use lime juice rather than lemon.

Yep. Sounds sensible to me as well.

TreeTigers recipe looks good but remember that Parmesan isn't suitable for vegetarians. The alternative "parmezano" (or something like that) doesn't work well in cooked recipes.

Thanks Cahir - she'll be OK with parmesan - she just doesn't eat actual meat but is fine with products containing derivatives/extracts etc.

Didn't realise that about parmesan though - what exactly is in it?

I've never liked mince pies so it's never been an issue for me. I'll ask my other veggie friends.

OK thanks - and see if they have any veggie burger recipes while you're at it will ya? :)

I've made veggie burgers a few times myself so I'll look for some recipes. The problem is that they tend to fall apart on me.

The problem is that they tend to fall apart on me.

My exact problem too Cahir.

In fact my only problem really - the last lot I made I just sort of invented the recipe and they were really nice even if I say so myself, but you had to approach them with a surgeon's hand when trying to turn them under the grill - or even just touching them.

Egg and extra breadcrumbs have helped them bind a little but still not satisfactory. Mind you, I had the nicest veggie burgers ever in a kind of hippie roadside café/"restaurant" in Kerry a few years ago but they were kind of mushy and falling apart too - so it seems to be a problem for a few people.

Gillian McKeiths falafel burgers are probably the best for not falling apart. I prefer not to use eggs if I can help it but adding an egg to her recipe might keep it together.

I have a whole load of tried and tested veggie recipes (which exclude all types of fake meat because I hate it) so if you ever need any of them I'm sure I could send them to you.

Yeah Cahir - that would be great thanks.

Always interested in new recipes - especially veggie ones.

Back