Good quote from painter?

Yeah, this is a good quote. Builders/DIY folk generally wouldn't get out of bed for less than €200 a day.

Be careful with the paint that he is supplying. Make sure it is the good stuff and not cheap paint he is using to keep his costs down.

However, if he's working on his own he won't be able to do all this (including stripping all the woodchip) in four days. Does he have help? Are you sure he included stripping the woodchip?

Otherwise sounds good providing his references are genuine. No reason to think otherwise if you've checked them out yourself.

It looks ridiculously cheap - especially as the paint is included in the price - so much so that I would fear that there is a catch somewhere, on the lines of "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.."

Hopefully I'm wrong.

Good quote from painter?

"In the future - everybody will be world-famous for 15 minutes."

-- Andy Warhol

If the €1K quote is for the full house inside and out with the exception of the box room etc then it does look very cheap. We paid €2.5K all-in (e.g. including paint/materials) last year for a full job inside (woodwork, walls, ceilings) and out (wooden windows, faschias/soffits, rear plastered wall, outside doors) and excluding boxroom and small bathroom/kitchen which took our man 5 days 7AM-5PM each day.

I must say, it seems a little too much on the cheap side. It's all very well people agreeing with you that he is cheap, but I would tread carefully here and find out as much info as you can on the standard of the materials, paint, etc that he intends to use.

I would prefer to get one room done and see how that goes. Even if it does eventually add to the cost its better than forking out 1k and not being happy with the job.

The quote looks more reasonable if you've done the hard work yourselves. How big is the house by the way?

I'm also looking for an outside painter. Anyone get any quotes?
€1k for the inside sounds like a bargain - if he's got recommendations and you've seen his work, I'd go for it. We were scared into doing the inside ourselves after a much higher quote. No regrets now, but €1k might have changed some minds at the time!

Back