Good quote for Granite?

PinotNoir

I've just been quoted 5k for a fitted kitchen (pvc) 12 units, including granite worktop (max 12.5m)
Is this suspiciously low?

Are granite worktops alone not €2k!Sounds v low to me!

Probably too good to be true, but you might as well get it in writing. I think granite is normally about €500/mtr - you're talking about 12.5 mtrs, so that part alone should €5 - 6.5k. Are you sure it wasn't granite effect worktop?

Nope - it is real granite - I saw it, and touched it. Have their hand-out here which states Kitchen f/f with granite worktop, from 5K based on 12 units and 5.5 metres of granite. It comes in a choice of 4 colours/types

sorry - I see I made error with first amount (12.5) BUT even so - is this too low? They are a local company.

They are coming over to quote me this evening. Will let you all know how I get on. They are called Arcol or Ercol - (flyer is at home) and they are based in maynooth. Heard from another source last night that they are good stone people but couldnt say re the kitchen.

Different ball game if only talking about 5.5mtrs of granite....our granite cost approx half the price of the kitchen, so your figures above are in line. The have probably given the estimate based on standard units & handles - things like drawers, detailing etc are what really ramp up the prices. Keep it simple and it shouldn't cost the earth. By the way, you mention PVC (probably foil wrap?), it actually doesn't cost that much more to go for solid wood (probably will add about 10% to overall cost) & it should last better - at least you can sand, varnish, paint etc., if it needs a facelift down the road.

Hi, have a 6m long granite island in kitchen at home, the stone alone cost 3k, the kitchen supplier didnt supply the worktop as fro him to supply it would have made the cost of the kitchen too high. One Idea might be to have your kitchen guy install the kitchen without any worktops and for you to contact the stone guy directly once all the units have been fitted (without tops) Might be worth a shot, we did it and it saved us 1.5k.

Hi Bacchus
Yesterday, I popped into the store, had a look around, had a brief chat with the guys, picked up their flyer (available in-store), and left after making an apptmt for them to come by and measure up and quote.
Today, they will do so.
Later, I will let any interested parties know what the quote came to.

The "average" quoted seemed very inexpensive to me, so I sought the opinion of others!

Oh boy I've been all around the gardens since that original post!

I did in the end go with the guys I had questioned - but not until I had thoroughly checked them out.

they are doing my kitchen (foil wrap doors) which is a quite decent size all in, all extras (feature over cooker, special cabinet etc) , granite of my choice which they have ordered for me, undermounted double sink taps, draining rivulets cut in and so on, for 9.8K

I'm pretty happy with that. They install themselves - took me to see a kitchen they are doing right now. Had a chat with the lady of the house and that was that then for me. I mean, showrooms always look great but when a customer tells you they have great attention to detail I"m in. And I could see the quality looked good, plus the price was right.

Thats twice the original "quote" that started this thread !
Still it seems good, but how many doors ?, which gives an idea of size of kitchen.

Secman

true, but the 5k quote was for like a galley kitchen and there was a choice of 4 granites, none of which appealed to me.

So I'm getting 18mm carcasses - 2 x sets of 800 drawers,1 x 400 bin system, 400 and 400 magic corner, 500 sink press, 600 panel for integrated dishwasher, cabinet 1200x 1200 with glass doors (4), 4 x 600 press and 4 x 300 press plus flyshelf. Tongue and groove style gabling on all exposed cabinet sides and running along peninsula plus all the other bits n pieces.

total granite coming in at approx 8m of granite.