Good quality runners (gym)

Plek Trum

Yes.. that time of year and I (along with aspirational others) have committed ourselves to regular workouts.

On the off chance that some of you may be experienced fitness folk, can you please recommend a pair / brand of runners that would be suitable. My main criteria would be support and cushioning. Aerobics and powerwalks are the initial plans.. thanks.

ps: any on-line links would be appreciated too, thanks.

Just bought a pair of asics duo max and can really feel the difference when running. Give a lot more cushioning and i had problems with my shins last year. Got them in Arnotts sale €70

ASICS, ASICS, ASICS, ASICS, ASICS, ASICS!

I am not associated with the company other than being a customer in love with their products!

Thanks a mill - I have been an avid Nike consumer for years but recently have been suffering shin splints off and on. Wanted to start the year on the right foot... so to speak.. ahem...

Avail of the genuine half price sale in arnotts now on,if you can.
And I also endorse Asics, but make sure you get the right type.

Unfortunately I am located in Kerry so Arnotts is not an option. Seems to be a reduction with Elverys sports: [broken link removed]
but I will wait and try on in person to ensure correct size and fit etc. Will go the Asics route (first time) and see.. thanks for your help!

I also suffer from shin splints and last year I tried asics gel trainers on recommendations from a sales assistant at my local sports store. I will NEVER go back to any other trainer. They are a great all rounder. (imo that is!! )

I have been jogging with a while and would not look at anything else other than ASICS. Nike were half price in Elverys and were really good value but when I tried them on they felt all wrong. Elverys have some offers on AISICS but I ended up getting a pair not in the sale. You can skimp on some things but jogging runners ain't one of them!

I've worn asics for running for the last 8 years and have never had a problem. A friend of mine switched to another brand last year and picked up an injury within a week!

If you really want to get a runner that suits your foot, then spend a little more and get gait analysis done. I know of a couple of places in Dublin who do this, but not in Kerry unfortunately. Also make sure you buy a pair that fit you properly. You'd be amazed at the number of people who buy ill-fitting shoes.

I use Nike Free's...absolutely love them, I have 3 pairs and wouldn't use anything else. They're light, comfy, good for gym, running, walking. They're the ones with the really bendy sole that supposed to make the muscles in your foot do more work. I used to use Asics too, but prefer the less cushioned frees now. You also get different insoles for the frees, one is more cushioned to adjust to them, and another less cushioned so your feet do more work. Whether it works it not, they're so comfy!

I use Adidas clima-a-cool runners nice and light, never had any problems with shin splints etc.

Hi Plek Trum,

Try John Buckley Sports (Google it and do "pages from Ireland") and you will get their web site. They are in Cork and are most helpful on WEB, phone or call in. I have no conection except a very satisified Customer.

In the club I run with 95% of us wear Asics!
After Asics, I would recommend Adidas but wouldn't be a fan of Nike's at at all.