Good Place for LCD TV's

burkemg

May be in the market to buy an LCD TV soon.

Any recommendations on a 30 - 32" model?

What to look out for in terms of reolution spec etc.

Is there new technology aroud the corner so so I be wary of special offers.

Where's the best place for value and service.

Thanks.

When I got our telly repaired a short while ago the repair guy said they are having a lot of problems with both plasma and LCD tellys. Plenty of business for him.

There's a sale on in Arnotts tv dept. at the moment. It finishes on Sunday (10th April). They have special offers on philips LCD tv's and there's 10% off all other philips stock. I bought a 28inch widescreen and made a genuine 70 euros saving in the sale! (I had shopped around a lot in the last few weeks and knew the Arnotts price was a bargain).

sueellen said:
When I got our telly repaired a short while ago the repair guy said they are having a lot of problems with both plasma and LCD tellys. Plenty of business for him.

I woulda thought they Cannot be repaired, unlike trad tellys, and so he of all people Would say that SueEllen would he not I suppose you saw stacks of them in the workshop and very few trad tellys

Plasmas only last 5 years absolute max and then they die, a normal telly lasts 10 years nowadays.

Hi

Got an LCD at Xmas, a Black Diamond 27"

TBH, I'm not overly impressed by it, not much better than my older Phillips 24" widescreen, although 3 times the price.

Unless you want to wall mount it, don't bother is my view

Lidl were flogging one a while back, might be worth checking out if your going to take the plunge regardless

Cheers

G>

I was going to buy an LCD tv myself when our JVC 28" widescreen broke down I had the JVC 5 years and through two house moves with one renovation without a bother so I decided to get it repaired if it was fixable so I would at least have a spare if anything went wrong with a new one. I managed to get a good repair man to have a look at it and turned out it was only an ickle problem and he fixed it for 70 euro when he dropped it back I asked him how much an LCD or Plasma would cost to repair and he smiled and said stick with your JVC still have that tv now and he reckons I should get another few years out of it which I think has been great value.

Check out the following key post - http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=5751.

In order to be future proof, you should ideally be looking for a HD-Ready TV (check out [broken link removed]) i.e. it must have a certain minimum resolution and support digital interconnects.

It must be stated that you will get better value - and most likely better pictures - if you spend the money on a 32inch widescreen CRT (tube) TV.

However, if you need the slim form factor and/or to hang the TV on the wall, then LCD or Plasma is your man.

You can pick up cheap LCDs in Lidl and the like but the resolution is probably not up to much.

LCD TV lifespan

tonka said:
Plasmas only last 5 years absolute max and then they die, a normal telly lasts 10 years nowadays.

Plasmas are usually quoted as lasting 30,000 hours (or more for recent models) which is about as long as a CRT TV.

On this subject, I came across the following article:

Plasma TV Buying Guide: How Long do Plasma Televisions Last

The 30,000-hour figure should be comforting, since this is about how long CRTs last. Let's put all this in perspective: Assuming the average household watches 4 to 6 hours of television per day, a plasma display will last between 13 and 20 years. If you think about it, that's quite a bit of bang for your buck.
This article - Panasonic Plasma vs. Sharp LCD TV Review - also has some interesting comments:

Where the Sharp LCD really outpaces the plasma, though, is in the screen integrity/longevity department. The single greatest distinction between plasma and LCD displays—besides picture quality and coloration—has to do with the imperviousness of LCD screens to burn-in and the renewability of their picture elements. The florescent bulb that powers the Sharp's picture should realistically last about as long as the plasma TV's half-life, 30,000 hours. The bulb may not burn out for a few thousand more hours, but its white balance will probably have changed enough and the bulb itself will probably have dimmed dramatically enough to merit replacement. Whereas one would have to replace an entire plasma TV in such instances, one only has to replace the bulb in the Sharp LCD. The Sharp LCD TV can be returned to "like-new" performance levels with a simple bulb change out, which Sharp's Service Center assured us can be done by the user him- or herself. Thus, the Sharp Aquos line has a big advantage over Panasonic's plasma line when it comes to performance over time.

A well-made plasma may have a slight edge, picture-wise, over a similarly well-made LCD display, but users can count on their LCD TVs to continue to perform, given a minimal investment (around €270 for a new lamp), indefinitely.