Good kitchen Knife.

Ash 22

Where is the best place to get a good sharp kitchen knife that will last? I find the knives I get lose their edge and become pretty useless,

Arnotts do blocks of kitchen knives and also sell them separately. For quality you have to pay. And sharpen them like Purple says. I use Stellar and find them good.

I bought a very expensive one recently, a Global (it was 85 quid - yikes!!!).

Its brilliant, but you DO have to keep sharpening it. The big difference I find with it compared to ordinary knives is that it really does sharpen up well - I use a sharpening stone as opposed to a steel, as the packaging of the expensive knife said a steel could damage the blade.

I bought a knife in IKEA last year & it's the one I always go for now when cooking.
Bought a sharpener too but haven't had a need to sharpen it yet.

Next time I'm in IKEA I might get some more from the range.

Tk Maxx often have good value on knives. Agree with buying a good knife and then keeping it sharpened. We have some very shap knives but as we have young kids keep them on the top of the press which I need a stool to reach so often end up using the not so sharp ones instead

Thanks everybody its just the other night I was trying to bone a fish something I'm not good at atall and it was like hacking it with the knife I had.

Thanks everybody its just the other night I was trying to bone a fish something I'm not good at atall and it was like hacking it with the knife I had.

Ask your butcher about a good knife for boning - he might be able to give you a few pointers for what size/type is best.

all good knives need to be sharpened /think g ramsay in hell's kitchen/
ilove my set of sabatier knives i bought half price in debenhams, they sit perfectly well in your hand