Good hedge

flowstone

Hi

I have a small plot odf garden to the side of the house and wanted to put up a hedge to make it more private. Don't want to wall it in as feel it's a bit un-neighbourly to erect a 6ft wall Any advice on if i can buy pre grown hedging, what type and if there is a good gardening centre on the N3 that could set this up?

Thanks

FS

Flowstone,

I can't recommend names of hedges, but suggest you could put up a 'thorny' one if security is an issue / make yourself a bit more 'burglar proof'.

cheers

I have a noce whitethorn hedge. It takes about 5 years go get to 6 feet. YOu buy the small plants, known as 'quicks' at 2 to 3 feet. They are easy to set and you should nip the tips of every on at about 18 inches to encourage thicker growth. No gurrier will every get through it.

If you want something quicker, you could get griselinia or escalonia. Both grow quickly, but there is little security.

Another sugegstion would be rose. There is a rose, rosa rogosa that gives a thorny hedge and is quite thick.

I put in two seperate hedges at the same time, one being copper beech and the other laurel. Both started off the same size but the laurel is now much thicker and taller. So personally I'd go for the laurel for speed but some prefer the look of copper beech.

I put in two seperate hedges at the same time, one being copper beech and the other laurel. Both started off the same size but the laurel is now much thicker and taller. So personally I'd go for the laurel for speed but some prefer the look of copper beech.

Laurel will grow quicker than copper beech because the leaves are greener, thus more chlorophyll, thus more photosynthesis, thus more food produced, thus faster growth.

To the OP, whatever you go for I'd urge a native hedge - better adapted to our climate, wildlife friendly, and likely cheaper to buy. Future Forests do bulk orders of native hedging as well as other types of hedging.

Whatever you choose, you're a bit late to plant a hedge now - better to do your research and then wait till autumn/winter so you can plant much cheaper bare root hedging which will establish quickly.

Back