Good, Fast, Cheap Data Recovery

Itchy

Anybody any recommendations?

The old hard-drive fell and now wont work. From the sound its making I think it is the read/write head that is damaged and not the actual media. I have emailed a few companies but have not got any replies so far. Do you know if they can store the data while I get a new hard drive (About 150GB)?

Very unlikely to be cheap. To do this properly you pretty much need a clean room (or at least a slightly-clean room) to minimise the chances of dust and other environmental pollutants.

With the scale that these things operate on, any initial physical damage is likely to lead to physical damage to a lot of the device. If a bit of a head had been damaged and is out of alignment, then every time the heads scan across the disk more and more damage will be caused to the media. Bear in mind that the heads scan across the media pretty much all the time when in use and you get the picture.

If it is business valuable data then you could try a company called Renaissance (in Dun Laoghaire I think) or RITS. I think these companies do some of this type of work, but I could be wrong.

z

First things first. If the drive still registers in the PC's BIOS and can be accessed in any shape or form then download the drive manufacturer's low level diagnostic/recovery utilities, create a bootable floppy/CD-R, boot off it and see if you can sort things out that way (even temporarily in order to clone the contents before binning the drive if necessary). What make/model is it? I've done a lot of this recently recovering several old and seemingly dodgy drives so it's all fresh in my mind and I might be able to assist.

Thanks guys.

Yes Clubman it registers in the BIOS but cannot be accesed. When it is switched on the power light comes on but not the "working light" i.e. the light that comes on when you are reading the drive.

Its an Iomega drive and got on to their support (which was excellant by the way) which gave me help but it was decided that it would be necessary to replace the drive, which they are going to do, fair play to them. BUT they wont do any data recovery... Yes I do have sensitive stuff on it but I am nearly sure its encrypted anyway...

Ill give the company a ring.

OK just gave a ring around...

Cheapest and best answers I got were from

Apart from the above all quotes were (ballpark) €1000+...

or tap the drive with your finger, firmly, when it starts to spin up . It only needs to spin up once for you to recover the data

Back