Good explanation of false positive rate

As far as I know, every GP is doing phone consults before having people turn up in the surgery and will only see you if he deems it necessary. Certainly not the case that you have to have a test before seeing the doctor. Obviously they will ask you questions and if there is doubt, they won't see you.
Yep, the GP's get a payment of €30 for every phone consult they (claim) to do. It's a good job they are professionals and therefore not subject to the same human frailties as the rest of us or such a lose and unverifiable procedure would be open to rampant abuse.

Yep, the GP's get a payment of €30 for every phone consult they (claim) to do. It's a good job they are professionals and therefore not subject to the same human frailties as the rest of us or such a lose and unverifiable procedure would be open to rampant abuse.

I won't even begin to explain my thoughts on phone consults..... They seem to gone up in price in recent weeks as well...

I won't even begin to explain my thoughts on phone consults..... They seem to gone up in price in recent weeks as well...
And there is absolutely no way to verify they happened. They can just pick a number and submit payment claims to the HSE. It's like the TB vaccinations of cows in the 70's. My friends father is a Vet, he said he paid off his mortgage in 4 years with the money he made.

Last edited:
Certainly not the case that you have to have a test before seeing the doctor.

Yeah, I'd be very surprised if any GP was insisting every potential patient had to have a test in advance of arranging an appointment.

Yeah, I'd be very surprised if any GP was insisting every potential patient had to have a test in advance of arranging an appointment.
I think they only do that if they don't like you...

Reactions: Leo
Back