good deals to Budapest?

kerinsp

Hi,
I'd like to take the Mrs and son (infant) to Budapest for a week. First week in August would be best. Has anyone found any good sites for booking accomadation over there. Flights from Malev seem about 100 euro cheaper than Aer Lingus and are working out to be around 530. Can anyone recommend a nice hotel that wont cost a fortune? There are a lot of choices but some of them seem pricey for budapest.

On another note, has anyone been brave enough to hire a car over there and go touring?
Thanks
Paul

Try [broken link removed] . I used this before christmas and found the prices very competitive.

I stayed in the Hotel Normafa while in Budapest. Lovely hotel with leisure centre and heated outdoor pool. Food was also top class. Only draw back is that its about 15mins on bus from city. Located on the Buda side and perfect if you require a quiet hotel with beautiful walks and scenery.

Stayed in Ibis Vaci Ut. Its in the city but 2 metro stops away from the main metro station of the city (approx 5 mins journey). Metro stop is 2 seconds away from hotel entrance. Staff were very friendly and helpful. Buffet breakfast. Spotless hotel. Hotel doesnt have facilities like swimming pool but has restaurant (small menu) and bar and perfect location for site seeing.
This is also a good guide: www.inyourpocket.com/instant/budapest-instant-guide.pdf

We stayed in Starlight Suiten Hotel - looks simple from outside but all rooms are actually suites. Great size. V. well furnished - with 2 tv's, microwave, fridge etc. I think we paid around €95 per night per room incl breakfast, and we got 4th night free (Feb 2006). V central. We booked through hotels.com

http://www.starlighthotels.com

In my experience Malev flights are always cheaper. It's an early morning start though! If your dates are flexible press the button for -3/+3. It's amazing the difference one day can make.

Do you know that the Grand Prix is on August 6th ? That will push the price of everything up around then in hotels etc

Last 2 times I was over I stayed in Elite Apartments, on Wesslenyi Ut. It's a much cheaper option than hotels but if it's a treat for your wife...it's up to you. I was over visiting a dentist & not for fun & the cost for 8nts was €370 & it's very central. Less than 5min walk from Deak Ter where all the metro lines converge.

we stayed in A'rt hotel on the banks of the danube - buda side - I was a lovely hotel -

Forgot to say that you won't need a car in the city. Public transportation is very efficient. Just beware of Taxis. Some of them are total rip-off. It's always best to phone for one. Either way any fare in the city should not cost more than 2000 HUF - that's around €8.
Have a great time. It's a really beautiful city.

Malev are the best.....I've heard of apartments you can rent out there - maybe google it. I went a few years ago and loved it...Gellert and the baths in the main park were brilliant....Buda hill was beautful.....we stayed in a five star Grand Corinthian and had a room for 2 though you'd easily fit 4!

if it is a hotel you are looking for, there is a very nice new hotel in the centre called Fiesta... I was in Pest at the weekend but it was booked out. Apparently as it is the best value with location and standard.