Good Car Mechanic Dublin 15/Clonee area

C

CollyD

Anyone know of a good car mechanic in Dublin 15/Clonee area. I have a ford focus '99 and it is stalling on a left turn so am thinking it is a fuel supply issue with either the fuel line inside the tank or the pump or a leak at some stage of the fuel supply to the carburetor, most likely the rubber tube in the tank.

Thanks as I don't want to be ripped off. Tried to logon to forums.motornet.ie but it won't display the webpage.

i find the best place to find out things like this is your local pub you can get an education in them ,good luck

Sejim motors. Located at the Statoil garage just after Clonee on the Navan road.

hi there first thing to know is you dont have a carb second thing is check the conector on the power steering pressure the wires break off the connector resulting in the car stalling on full lock at low speen the connector is at the front of the engine on the drivers side in the high pressure steel pipe

Okay I can see the high pressure steel pipe it is connected to the rubber pipe into the power steering fluid. It is double crimped to the rubber pipe (kind of looks like two bumps) and it seems secure and no sign of a leak is this what you mean or is there an electrical wire inside it I should be able to get to? The steel pipe then goes across the front of the car to the other side (not the driver side) Are you thinking it is a vaccum leak in the power steering pipes? Thanks very much for your help by the way.

I also read this could this be a possible solution or maybe what you are saying?
Got this from google groups from what you were suggesting

"Check the high pressure hose from power steering pump .... looking for
a small electical switch mounted/connected directly into the pressure
line. It will have two electrical leads .... one black the other
usually blue with a brown stripe. There is also usually a 5 amp fuse
somewhere nearby (orange leads).
This switch is an "Idle kicker" that increases engine rpm when the
PSteering pump is straining during a left handed turn (doesnt strain so
when turning fully right). Replace the switch and all will be fine
again."

look at bottom of engine drivers side below alternator a small steel pipe with a connecto r with two wires just check to see if they are broken .a small test is let the car idle and turn the car from left to right full lock watch the rpm check to see does it rise or drop from the norn idle speed most common fault broken connection or y hose benath inlet manifold leaking

Thanks all for recommendations keep them coming as you can never have enough to choose from to get quotes.

Ford Jedi thanks again your experience is dead handy. The two wires are still stronhgly connect, I remove the connector to wriggle the wires properly and they are well connected as far as I can tell. I reconnected it to what i assume is some form of idle control switch. I turned the engine on from cold and it idled to about 1100rpm then as soon as I touched the steering in either direction it dropped to about 1000rpm and did not return to 1100rpm until I stopped turning the steering wheel. So does this mean it is a power steering issue and if so is it most like a fault around these two wires or the control swith they plug into.???

I heard also it could be the compensation valve probably best if i get it checked out in a garage.
I also heard it could be the stepper motor.

Thanks

Ken Fildes Motors on the back roads from Clonee.
How do you get to his Garage? It is okay I think I found it.

PGD1 do you mind if I ask why you recommend Ken Fildes?

Hi,

I use them for a number of cars, old and new and a mix of brands and find them to be honest and cost effective. They are a real garage who will try to fix things rather than just rip and replace. A number of friends also use them.

The only bad point is that coming out of their gateway can be a bit dangerous!

Thanks and near enough to me to cycle home as they work on it is always good , will let ya know how I get on if ur interested.

It was the power steering pump switch it had to be replaced. Happy enough with the price of the service to and handy having it just down the road would probably use a ford garage next time as they would have all the parts there and know most of the problems that arise when a car comes in with a symptom. Actually it would depend on the issue if I would go with a ford garage so 50:50 happy with service but it was the ford parts guy that told them it was most likely the power steering pump switch.

well, generally speaking if you have a ford and want it fixed there and then because they have the parts to hand..... then use a Ford garage.... but you will find that they are more expensive as a result.

You will also find that in alot of case the main dealers don't have a clue either!

What I've found with garages such as Ken Fildes is that they will put in the effort to diagnose and fix problems. Leaving that to a main garage can become expensive.

Good advice thanks and thanks for the referral, deadly having the car back on the road.