Good campsite to stay in France

nod

Help!
We are looking for a good campsite to stay in France,preferably the Vendee region as we can fly from Shannon to Nantes. We have the keycamp brochure but their prices are crazy,so we will book direct with the campsite. I have looked up reviews of most of the campsites on the net,and none of them really stand out.
This is what we would like,we will be going in June
Good pool complex
Kids club for 4 years plus
Good entertainment in the evening (essential !)
Beach nearby

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Click on any area for details of campings. Then click on the red spots! [broken link removed]

Hi Nod

My first suggestion for you would be the Haven ( www.siblu.com )campsites in St Jean de Monts, either Le Bois Dormant or Le Bois Masson. Both are large campsites situated just across the road from each other and you can use the facilities of either.
Haven, in my experience tend to offer the best evening entertainment, and if this is important for you then you need to go to the larger campsites especially as you are going early in the season in June. Smaller campsites tend to be be quiet at night, entertainment-wise early in the season.
The facilities in either of these campsites are first class with indoor / outdoor pools and waterslide complexes.
There are long, very safe beaches within a few minutes drive of the campsites.
Another campsite worth considering is La Garangeoire, a Castels campsite. ( www.camping-la-garangeoire.com) in St Julien des Landes. This has been a favourite of ours down through the years. Its a little bit inland so if frequent trips to the beach is important it probably won't suit. It is however more suited to younger families and again facilities are excellent with its own lake on site.
Another site I would recommend is La Grande Metairie which is in southern Brittany. Again it is a member of the Castels chain ( www.castels.fr ), is very large with indoor / outdoor pool / slides complex and tends to be lively in the evenings even in June. Its also close to the sandy beaches at Carnac. Its only about a two hour drive north from Nantes on a dual carriageway.

You are right to go independent rather than via the operators. You will save money. Use their brochures though as all the best 4 star sites will be in these. If you see a site you like, just Google it and you will find all the info you need regarding accomodation and prices.

Happy holidays

JohnF

Most campimgs do not start their (animacion) entertainment program for kids until july as schools dont close til then.

Re: campsite booking in / out days

If I can deviate slightly from the subject, does anybody know of good campsites in the Vendee South or Royan area where you can book in / out on other days apart from saturdays in the month of July.
Flights are a good bit cheaper mid week .
Thanks in advance

Hi Burns--------------------->

Click on any area for details of campings. Then click on the red spots! [broken link removed]

Hi there ,Ive stayed in La reserve ,its an hour from Bordeaux,as per the first reply,it was amazing!!!going back for 3 weeks in July,flights with airlingus (special offer) for 5 was 760euro ,21 nights in La reserve was 2650,www.siblu.ie.cant speak highly enough of the place.

This is very expensive! You can book an 8 berth ,, 3 bed mobile, for €1250 for the first 3 weeks of July in this site if you book via France!
Back to an earlier poster, Both the Bois Masson and Bois Dormant in the Vendée allow midweek arrival..check out www.siblu.com for info on the site but don't book through them unless you fancy paying double!

Gauloise,

Did you book directly with the campsite for € 1,250 for the first 3 weeks in July ? This is an excellent price.

I have booked 3 weeks arriving 9/7/06 at Le Chaponnet in the Vendee and am paying € 1,250 for a 2005 model 3 b/r mobile and this was after a lot of searching and haggling.

Daddy

HI Daddy,

No I didn't book it ....but sourcing holidays in France is what I do! Your price is good too and proof that you can save over 1000€ per holiday if you know where to look Feel free to PM me if you need any help with your holiday in France otherwise "Bonne Vacances!"

Hi Gauloise

Very interested in your post re La Reserve as we too are looking at booking a campsite in France this Summer. When you mention you can save money by booking via France is there a particular website that you would recommend to book it direct. Have googled it but without a lot of luck. Thanks for your help.

Hi Hurling Fan,

What campsite in particular are you looking for? It's no secret that it is cheaper to book direct..if you want to pm me perhaps I can help. There are a number of sites that group camspites in France and one I believe is mentioned above also look at www.camping.fr though this is only available in French..desolée!

Gauloise,

Could you recommend sites in the Eastern part of France, in the Jura/Vosges area? I am aware of the Val de Bonnal site.

Thanks for your help,

Slim

Hi Slim, there are a number of sites..are you looking for a 4**** like one of the keycamp ones? If so have a look at canvas as they have 3 sites in the Jura with kids clubs etc.. but if you are looking for something else let me know and I'll pont you in the right direction.

Thanks for the prompt response, Gauloise. Actually, I am looking for sites suitable for touring as we towed a caravan last year around Western France and Loire - we really enjoyed the trip. This year we are driving a motorhome and are interested in sites that are close to town/in town, even municipal sites. Looking for sites with good access to lakes/cycling. Intend to drive on into Switzerland(briefly as I believe it is very expensive) and up into Black Forest area of Germany and then home. Any help or advice appreciated.

Slim

Are you a memebr of the caravan club? They publish an excellent guide, reviewed by its members on most sites, and covers all of Europe. It costs about € 15.00..I'll look up their number for you if you want, otherwise log on to www.franceguide.com , in the main page select Jura under "where" and Official Tourist Organisations under "what" and this will bring you to the regional tourist office where you can order their camping guide which will cover municipal sites also. But if you have a caravan/motorhome the guide would be worth the 15€ imo.

Can anyone recommend someone or website for booking mobile homes in the larger campsites in France - i'm looking at Les Charmettes, La Réserve and possibly Le Bois Masson & Le Bois Dormant.

My own experience is that it's best simply to contact them directly — via their website, if it has that feature or provides an email address, or else simply by fax (the French are so-o-o nineties about certain things! )

They'll require a deposit to confirm the booking; usually, they'll provide you with IBAN/BIC details of their bank account. You can then transfer the funds directly to them for the same cost as if you were transferring it to an Irish bank down the road.