Good areas near Ballsbridge

charlie MacZ

Hello,

I will be shortly thinking about buying a property for myself, I have just started working in Ballsbridge and would like to get an idea of a good location to purshase. Ideally i would like to stay away from apts. i would like a 3 bed semi detached. My budget would be no more than 300,000k.

thanks.

Good area, 300k, 3 Bed Semi and Ballsbridge are mutually exclusive.

You could look at what is available in the Corpo estate (Beech Hill) behind the Donnybrook Bus Depo. I know someone who bought there a couple of years ago and thinks it's great. Not too sure that 300k would get you a cottage in Ringsend, even in the recession. Just checked, it would. If looking in the Ringsend/Irishtown/Sandymount area just beware of flooding from the Dodder and the Sea. If you look at Sandymount (not that 300K would get you much there) much of it is lower than the sea wall/coast road. With sea levels rising, it is only time before this is breached. (Sorry Brendan...)

Ballsbridge is very well served by public transport, with oodles of bus routes, Landsdowne DART and Ranalagh Luas all within reach. Be prepared to head out to the 'burbs unless you have pots of money to hand.

I'm guessing you already know that the most you could get for 300k in Ballsbridge is a 2 bed apartment with less than 65m2. As Complainer said, there are bus routes, DART and Luas lines to consider.

For example, if you look on the 46a route there are a couple of houses near Dun Laoghaire, [broken link removed], a 3 bed end of terrace asking €265k and [broken link removed], a 3 bed semi asking €315. Neither is a pretty looking house but the areas they are in are ok, particularly the one on Kill Avenue. Both are a couple of minutes walk from the 46a and a short distance from shops, pubs etc.

Looking at Sandyford, there's a recent development called Grianan Fidh at Aikens Village in Sandyford where 3 beds are available around the €300k mark; however they are terraced. I don't know how close they are to the Luas line but I think it's fairly close.

I know house prices have dropped, but there is no way you will get a property in Ballsbridge or it's immediate surroundings for €300k. Ballsbridge is an easy area to commute to though as loads of buses going around by Trinity College go through Ballsbridge. I have never had to wait more than a couple of minutes there for a bus. As Complainer said, it's also on the dart line. I'd really start broadening the areas you're looking at.

We were talking about houses. The OP said he didn't want an apartment.

Mind you, I think that's incredibly cheap for Ballsbridge. I wonder are the vendors being a bit creative with the address.

You can rent some great places in that area, rent have fallen a lot. I wouldn't rush into buying.

Thanks for reply's. I would prefer somewhere on the DART line at least you know when it's coming and going ! Looking at properties further south(Blackrock, Booterstown etc...) i think will be way out of my league regards mortgage, so what about areas like Clontarf, Raheny, Kilbarrack etc...) ?

be careful about going northside and hoping to get southside via Dart. From what I can tell, when/if the new Dart underground is built, one line will go from northside to Inchicore and another from Maynooth to Greystones. So in a few years, you might have to take 2 Darts to go from Clontarf to Ballsbridge

OK, I've done a little research and I like the look of Raheny, anybody live around there? can you tell me where are the nice areas, would like to live close to DART station and i see there is a park(St. Anne's). Seems like a nice area to live in...

be careful about going northside and hoping to get southside via Dart. From what I can tell, when/if the new Dart underground is built, one line will go from northside to Inchicore and another from Maynooth to Greystones. So in a few years, you might have to take 2 Darts to go from Clontarf to Ballsbridge

Yes you will have to change DARTs but seeing as there will be one every 5-8 minutes it's not going to be much of a hardship changing DARTs in Pearse station, you'll go upstairs in Pearse to transfer to the Maynooth/Greystones train.

The OP should have a look at Monkstown/Dun Laoghaire and remember that the prices on daft etc are asking prices not what they're expecting or getting.

Back