Golf Troubles

M

Mitten

Hi People,

Please be patient with me on this as am just looking for opinions and not an expert, in any way, on the topic of cars! The story goes –

Have a VW Golf, ’99, 1.4, colour coded, 95k miles (not that that matters)

Has been very reliable until late and now experiencing a few problems as follows –

Whistling/squeaking coming from car at time when driving, thought it was brakes but has done it when not on the brakes as well.

More worryingly having gear box problems. Leant it to friend who had massive problems getting it into reverse and spent a half hour trying to force it in etc etc. Since then car slips out of reverse when in that gear and also is juddering when in lower gears and changing gear. For example when going from 2nd back to 3rd it judders and feels like it will cut out but keeps going, for now!

I am petrified as to what could be wrong with it and the cost of fixing it. Any ideas?

Also, if I was to sell – what value would the car have and if traded in for an 02 Corolla what price would I be looking at?

I know this is all very vague and apologies!

I have similar squeaking/squealing problem on my 00 Saab 93. It happens after driving it for about 10 mins and it gets louder at lower speeds sometime. It stops momentarily when I brake and comes back. I think it's either brake pads or ssupension struts/mounts. Going to change pads first and see what happens. Let me know your findings!

Thanks for that - mine happens on breaking sometimes as well though, thought it was brakes but turns out it does it on driving etc as well.

Kinda more worried about the gears to be honest.

i have a similar sounding problem, more of a whine than a whistle...but i've been told i'll need a new gearbox...common enough on golfs apparently.

You are doing well to have a 99 golf with 95k miles and no gearbox issues thus far. My wife's 99 golf gearbox and clutch went about three months after she bought in 03. While it caused us a lot of pain at the time (cost 1600 to repair - I hate to say it but we had to cash in her SSIA at the time to pay for it!), the car was perfect ever since and we recently got a very good price on it as a trade in, so all in all I think it is a modest amount to pay in repairs over a four year period. My advice is that if you think it needs gearbox changing you are as well to hand on for a couple of years as otherwise you are handing over a decent amount of money that you will not get back when you sell the car

When the gearbox started to go my my 99 Golf we were told that there's a known problem with the gearboxes, something about the bolts that were used not being strong enough. Ours had been welded by a previous owner to try to remedy the problem. Ended up getting it all replaced.

God Almighty - €1,600!!!Surely the car is only worth about €6,000 (would i be correct?)

So, presuming this is the problem, is the car still safe to drive?

Also, would i be as well to pay the money and get it repaired, hope nothing else goes wrong or trade it in as it is for something else? Thinking an '03 Corolla or similar?

Thanks for all the advise people!

Back