Golf TDI or TSI?

The Grinder

I can't decide between buying a VW Golf TDI 2.0L and a VW Golf TSI 1.4L. Any opinions? Both cars have the same CO2, bhp, performance, and torque figures which I'm amazed at for a 1.4L car. Maybe these TSI petrol engines outweigh any benefit that diesels had over petrol? The diesel is €5k dearer. Insurance will be cheaper on the TSI. Fuel is 5.5 l/100km for diesel over 6/100km for petrol - not a big difference.
I'm also thinking of getting the DSG semi automatic transmission which works like a duel manual clutch. Any opinions on that?
Thanks

I would go with the 2.0l TDI, already heard people having small problems with the TSI model and they have said that the TSI could be very expensive to maintain in the longterm.

TDI without doubt.Turbo petrol engines are not nearly as tough as turbo diesels.

Have a TSI 140hp - - A couple of friends of mine have one too have had no problems and have not heard of any others having problems either. Maybe you can let us know what the problems have been.

Rented the 2.0L 140hp diesel in Spain last summer - It is very nice but I Didn't think it drove as well. Not the most refined engine and I didn't find it any more economical! It's not worth the 5k extra!

Good to get the alternative view on this. I'm thinking of getting the 140 or 170 TSI in the next car. I don't fancy paying extra for a diesel engine. The greater fuel economy wouldn't make up the cost difference for me.

Not a Chance - Drive them all and see what you think - I went to buy the 170hp TSI - Its quicker off the mark but there didn't seem to be much in it going up the gears. It's quite jumpy - Think it might be too much power in it for a 1.4. the 140 is €27k and the 170 it €32k. I spent €32k on the 140k - quite a few nice extras on it!

Interesting again. Low down gears is where I miss the power and not too worried about power above the speed limit.

140hp is still v quick off the mark o - 100kph in 8.5 secs. What do you currently drive?

The Jetta 1.6 FSI and before that the Golf IV 1.6. It's noticeably less nippy than the Golf.

Just read that this afternoon myself - I agree the TDI is an excellent unit but I really do think the TSI is a nicer more refined drive - What options are you going for?

Went for the GT Sport myself - DSG is a nice option but I didn't go for it! Has a sweet 6 speed box but I hope I dont regret it!

Any Ideas on how the TSI 140hp will sell second had?