Golf just cut out

money man

Hi just wondering my brother was on his way to work this morning. He said that the airbag light and the hazard light were coming on when he was driving and that it happened a few weeks ago too. so he pulled into a petrol station and when he walked away from the car and came back it had cut out. he tried to start it again and there wasnt a sound out of it. it is probably an electrical problem but is it best to just leave it into the garage or could it be something simpler? why is this happening?its a vw golf 98. 1.4 petrol

Will it not restart?

VW's reliability is not all it's cracked up to be in my opinion.

He said that it was the hazard light and the Airbag light.(my dad seems to think it might have been ABS light)not sure why... Thanks for suggestion of restarting it. Im sure he thought of that! It was not even ticking over when he turned the key. he said that the airbag light came on a few weeks ago when he was on the motorway but just went off then.

a friend had a 99 golf with a similar fault. There is a thing called a fuseable link (i think) that shorts out same as a fuse. I think its located in the engine bay around the top of the shock on the passanger side. 5 years ago so might be a bit off on the location.