Golf Holiday Portugal or Spain

Lauren

Anyone got recommendations for accommodation in either Portugal or Spain, located beside, or pretty close to decent golf courses. I've had a look at Vilamoura in Portugal and availability is pretty tight. (Want to go in two weeks!). I've looked at previous posts on here and investigated the recommendations there. Also looked at Trip Advisor and Hotels.com and there is a mind boggling array of choice so would love a recommendation.

I'm not too familiar with Spain so if someone can recommend specific resort areas that have good golfing closeby, that would be appreciated.

Looking for 4 star, specifically a hotel, fairly quiet and restful, nice pool area and close to a beach. Thank you in advance.

I've been to both Spain and Portugal. I wasnt impressed at all with the courses in Portugal. Unless you pay mega bucks (San Lorenzo and the like which are €140 a round), you will be playing on poorly kept golf courses (Vila Sol, Vilamoura and yes your eyes do not deceive you Quinta da Lago- all around €80 a round) whose main aim is to put out as many golfers as possible and make as much money as possible. Basically its a crammed 5 hour jaunt in 40 degree heat (and they sometimes dont have a buggy for you!). Also you play off the forward tees which means it basically pitch and putt.

Basically if you like challenging golf courses, i would not recommend the algarve. We played five courses there and none of them would measure to say Headfort New, Knightsbrook, Rathsallagh, Mount Wolseley even Glen of the downs....

I've also played in Spain and although similar, there seems to be alot more space for courses. I recently played a course called Finca Cortesin, its just opened in Estepona and was a fantastic course with plenty of space and hardly anyone on it. [broken link removed]
Its expensive at around 80 a round, but at least you know you are getting your moneys worth, I'd gladly pay extra for some exclusivity.

I also played torrequebrada (definitely not worth money) and a couple of courses near Mijas which were better value.

My advice would be to find somewhere near Marbella and get a car. As for specific packages, contact an agent on the costa http://www.golfinspain.com/eng/
and haggle.

Good luck.

As a regular to the Marbella area, I would recommend the following courses:
- Mijas (two courses)
- Santana
- Los Naranjos
- Marbella Golf Club
- Los Flamingos
- Finca Cortesin

Lots of courses in the general Marbella area. Most offer deals in the Summer months, typically €50-€60 incl buggy. Having just come back, there is no pressure on tee times.