Golf GTI Vs. Astra OPC

Mini3277

My son is currently looking at purchasing either of the aforementioned cars. I'm looking for the opinion of posters in relation to which car is a better choice for him.

He's currently driving a 06 Cooper S and is looking to move up into either an OPC or GTI. Personally I think the OPC is a much nicer looking car although with the GTI you've got the added comfort of Volkswagen residual value.

Anyone have any opinions on either of these cars?

Thanks.

GTI is a fantastic drive and is generelly known as the best allrounder hot hatch around. I have a 140hp tsi which is a quick car and also a brillient drive. I have driven a GTI many times and I highly recommend it!

OPC is maybe too fast/lairy. Not a great image either. I'd go with the GTi anyday.

I agree that the resale value of a GTI will be far better than an OPC but personally I think the OPC is a much more striking car, the last golf just wasn't a car that made an impression.

I don't get the review - cars4women? I'm sorry what?

Speedwise I'm not overly worried - The Cooper S in a JCW 211BHP car, very quick for a 1.6 engine but the son wants more space in the pack. I'm hoping he's not going to tell me he's a child on the way!

The spec on the Astra is also much higher than the GTI. Anyone have an opinion on the DSG gearbox? Are both cars reliable?

5 Mins with the daft indicators in an Astra will have you choosing the Golf. But if you choose the Astra I hope you've no CIM problems or Engine light issues. (hint search the web).

The Golfs the better drivers car.

... Anyone have an opinion on the DSG gearbox? ...
Reports indicate that the slightly older 6-speed DSG box works well in the low-powered petrol-engined cars (140 / 170 bhp) such as the Golf and that the newer 7-speed unit is tougher and can survive both the bhp and torque outputs of VAG's higher performance diesels.
... Are both cars reliable?
The VW certainly is.

Thank you for the information. To sum up the GTI is a better drive, more reliable and will hold it's value better.

I don't think my son is left with much of a choice!

One question on the DSG gearbox - when did the 7 speed verison come out?

I think the first 7-speed DSG "in the wild" was late last year in the new Skoda Superb 2.0 TDI (CRDI).

. Anyone have an opinion on the DSG gearbox? Are both cars reliable?

My bro-in-law has an 08 2.0 GTi DSG. The DSG is a lovely box with paddle shift too. Makes for great fun on the back roads. He thinks wwell worth the extra for it.

FWIW think the Astra is a nice looker but the Golf def a better drivers car.

Theres a lot to like the current astra, we have diesel one in the family. But theres lot of annoying problems that the dealers seem unable to fix. We had the same issues with an older astra aswell. Theres lots of stuff on the web too.

Whereas the Golf is better alround. Its a no brainer tbh.

I have a golf 2.0 gt tdi, 140 bhp, fantastic car, i love it, comfort, driving, performance, etc.

I would be of the opinion that it has more room than an Opc, a move from a mini to an opel would be a bad one in my opinion, in particular when no-one really knows what's going to happen to GM/Opel, you could end up with a car no-one wants, like what happenend Rover.