Golf exhaust emissions light

seed

Just wondering if anyone has had the experience where this light comes on (not flashing) for brief periods and then goes out? My Golf is 02 and has about 54k on the clock. I asked at a VW garage, and a lady at reception said not to worry about it! She was the only one available to talk to me on that occasion.

While we're on the subject, can anyone recommend a garage for a good service and timing belt change on the Northside, and hoow much approx. should I expect to pay?

I'm grateful for any constructive input, happy motoring, Seed

seed,
this happened to mine - in my case it was caused by a dirty air filter. They said it was ok to drive until I could bring it in to have it looked at.
Check your owner's manual - you should find an explanation of the various dashboard display symbols there.

Hi,

This happened to me too - it turned out to be a faulty coil pack.

I think there can be lots of causes including faulty sensors. Are there any other indications or just the warning light?

Triona

Thanks. Listen to this rip-off!

Thanks for that- i'm discovering what a complete rip-off the dealership garages are for servicing and timing belt-in around a grand-that's outrageous. One garage told me that the golf petrol timing belt doesnt need to be changed until 115,000miles-anyone hear this?

Seed

Re: Thanks. Listen to this rip-off!

Check your VW Owners Manual for recommended timing belt change intervals

Thanks for that! I looked at the manual-could it be called something else as I found no reference to a timing belt. Seed

I experienced the very same issue for about 8 months, brought back to dealer three time to be told 'all ok, sensor needs to be reset'. Eventually brought it to a different VW dealer and they advised everything fine and keep driving. Eventually, one of the coils went and had to get all 4 replaced. Dealer advised almost impossible to identify fault when emission light comes on.