Golf clubs suggestions - steel v graphite shaft?

marty004

Hi Folks,
I'm looking at spending about €500 on a set of clubs. I've only been playing golf for a few years so treating myself to a better set. Currently play of 14 so hoping to get down to single figures the next couple of years as I'll be playing much more having retired from the GAA.

Any advice out there on a good set to buy. Is steel shaft becoming more popular than graphite shaft? What are the differences? There is such a selection its dificult to know what clubs to choose!

Any golf enthusiasts out there with any info would be appreciated.

Thnaks in advance,
Marty

I think you should go to a golf shop or Custom Fit in Newtownpark Ave. for advice on that one because steel shafts suit some people and graphite - others. It depends on your swing speed, your strength (and your age). I am assuming you are in the Leinster area. There is a golf shop in Sandyford Ind. Est. and McGuirks have three shops in different parts of the city. The staff are sometimes aspiring pros who have to earn a few bob to keep them going and they would be well qualified to tell you what would suit you after getting you to hit a few balls first. You would need to ring them up first to find out if they have a driving net before going out and ask who would be able to advise you.

If your only playing a few years yet playing off 14 then would an updated version of the clubs your using not be better,I know lots of golfers who got handicap down reasonably low & changed their clubs thinking they would go lower but went back instead

Remember Marty, before you go too crazy, that this game is 90% in the head and 10% in technique and equipment

Is €500 for a set of irons, or a complete set of clubs, driver and all? It'll get you a good set of irons, but not much if it has to buy the entire set...

Steel shafts are advisable for someone whith a faster or quite powerful swing.... generally, older, retired golfers tend to migrate towards graphite shafts as their swing speed slows with age.

If you are a reasonably long hitter, and at a handicap of 14 you might well be, then stick with steel shafts. If you move to graphite too early or if you are too powerful for graphite, you may find that you will hook or slice the ball more because the shaft recoil/whip will be all over the shop during a fast swing....

But if you have a slow, gentle swing, the graphite will give you a few extra yards....

Steel is cheaper, though.

Have a look at the Callaway X18 iron set. With a trade in of your current set, you will easily pick up a 4 iron-SW steel set with a few quid left over for a cheap driver....

Sounds like you know what your talking about,a pro by any chance?

Sounds like you know what your talking about,a pro by any chance?

Absolutely not! A professional chancer maybe..... I am quite talentless on the golf course, but manage to keep my handicap at around 10/11.

10-11, This post will be deleted if not edited immediately I cant get below 17 no matter how hard I try,I do think though that the name of your clubs doesnt neccesarily make us better golfers,friend of mine has an ancient set of clubs & wooden driver but plays off 5,go figure

Hi Ghodadaba,
Yes I'm a big hitter and 6'3" tall. Have been used to playing with wilson ultra grahites the last few years (along with deep red woods also grahite). Just what I'm used to I guess so have been looking at other graphite clubs as I like the feel of them when hitting the ball. In saying that I'm open to suggestions.

Was on holidays and used a friend TaylorMades R7 which I found were excellent especially my iron shots to the green. Found it hard to misdirect any of the shots plus the fact he had teh clubs lengthened to suit him. So they are on my list if I can get a good price.

Other clubs looking at are:
  • TaylorMade R7's or XD Burner
  • Wilson Di7 or Pi5 (Think Harrington used a combination of these clubs to win his majors)
  • Ping G10 or I10
Prices vary across the WWW but the USA seems to have the best bargains at the minute and could save me up to 300 euro including taxes and delivery compared with prices in Ireland. Typical!

Will also look into the Callaway clubs but in no rush at the minute as there's not much golf been played in this weather. Maybe it's swimming goggles I should be buying!!

Anyway thanks for the feedback.

Marty

The taylormade R7's are quite expensive (about 600 new). I recently bought a set of Mizuno MX 25's witch cost 800 euro from a shop where I got fitted - being of average height/hand size etc. the shop guy recommended the standard club which was regular flex steel shaft. In future I'll be buying clubs from e-bay and save myself a wad of cash.

The only advantage I would see for you going to the shops to get fitted would be as you are tall you might need longer shafts (+1 inch etc). But if you have the b@lls go get fitted (as in try out multiple clubs in the golf shop) and buy the recommended clubs on e-bay.