Golf clubs online

colin79ie

Hi,

I am thinking of taking up golf in a few weeks. I am a complete beginner and am wondering is there a good online store for buying golf club sets etc., and can anyone give any recommendations for clubs/brands?
Thanks

Hi,

Firstly, I assume that your logic of buying on-line is to get better value !? In my opinion, if you know exactly what equipment you require and then can find it on-line at a better price then there's no problem but as you haven't played before that's a hard thing to do. Without getting too detailed, there are factors such as your age, build and likely swing speed that would dictate the correct equipment. There is a lot to be said for going to a trusted pro shop to get good advice....But if you can give me some more detail I will try and help further.....Age, height, do you play other sports (Hurling, Hockey ?) Does it matter to you whether you buy new or used, What sort of total budget do you have and finally, do you have anything at all yet...Shoes, bag, clothes etc ?

Cheers,

r2d2

I would second r2d2's advice. Talk to somebody who knows about the game ie a pro. As stated buying clubs online is only for someone that knows exactly what they want. Have a look and chat with the sales people in places like McGurks or Nevada Bobs who have a great selection and will be fairly well priced(for Ireland). They will often have "starter packs" on offer that will include bag, shoes, cart etc that would be expensive were you to buy them separately. It would be impossible to recommend particular brands of clubs without knowing your age, sporting background, ability, swing etc. There are too many variables though usually you get what you pay for. However if like myself you are of limited ability theres no point in paying thousands for new clubs as they won't turn a bad golfer into a good one!

A friend of mine told me there is a golf fitting service on line using your measurements and they supply replica clubs of most of the major brand names. I cant say i have tried them but they could be worth checking out.

Back