Golf Club Green Fees

Lex Foutish

I read in this morning's Examiner that Lahinch Golf Club is in a spot of financial bother at present, though I'm glad to see that the club isn't in any long term danger.

As part of the plan to deal with tumbling green fee income, the club is reducing green fees to €100 (weekdays) and €125 (weekends) in low season and €150 in July, August and September. Doonbeg (also in a spot of bother, financially, last year) is to charge €150-€200 green fees during the summer months. Ballybunion and Tralee are charging €180. (Source- GUI website)

In the current economic climate, (when many club members throughout the country are struggling to pay their annual sub), these reduced prices, to me, sound as daft as the original prices did during our recent illusive boom. I'm not having a go at Lahinch. I played it a few years ago with a member and it's easy to see why it's so highly regarded worldwide.

But do the more exclusive clubs throughout the country expect people to pay these prices in the current climate? I'm not sure if these clubs would, but I'm sure they could and they should reduce their fees, IMHO, to encourage the ordinary Joe Soap Irish golfer to take up the slack when the Rich American golfer isn't there to pay Celtic Tigeresque green fee prices.

We do have some of the finest courses in the world today but wouldn't be nice to be able to play them and still have the price of a pint and a sandwich in our pocket after the round?

You're quite right and other people think so too because they're voting with their feet. There are other more affordable options. In my case when my husband is with me it would be double green fees. We were in Lahinch years back when there was no recession and it would have been €250 for us.

Vote with your feet and your wallet. They are plenty of clubs making an effort to facilitatet societies and individuals with golf/meals at competitive prices.

When the economy was going well the expensive clubs treated socities like c**p. Now it is our turn.

Check out TEETIMES for a great choice of golf clubs and green fees.

Is there still the element of keeping the 'riff raff' out mentality at
these places.The Old head of Kinsale charge€1,200 for a 4ball
because they only want the elite.

The one thing that has to be said about The Old Head is that it's not affiliated to The Golfing Union of Ireland so they operate it purely as a business and, you're right, they charge pretty much what they want. Not sure about this year but it was €375 per head (pardon the pun!) - €1500 for a fourball last year or the year before. That makes it totally out of the question unless you get a freebie like I did last year when a friend won a free fourball there. (It wasn't easy abandoning my principles to play there ).

But, as I see it, the problem lies with the clubs who see themselves as Meccas for foreign tourist golfers, especially Americans. I'm talking mainly about the big name links courses on the south west and west coast and some exclusive courses in the Leinster area. Many of them do appear, as you say, to have a Fe*k off, Paddy, attitude but, if they don't change this attitude, they'll struggle and possibly go out of business.

We'd all love to play the courses I'm referring to but there is outstanding value out there in some of the lesser known clubs throughout the country. Last year, I visited (but didn't play) Portarlington G.C. and I think they were doing golf and a steak for something like €30. And from what I saw, it's a nice course. Most clubs give their green fee prices on the G.U.I. website. Well worth looking at if you're planning to head off golfing for a few days.

Or the site Yorrick referred to:-

www.teetimes.ie (Though the number of clubs on this site is quite limited).

Setting up a Golf Society in the Newbridge/Naas/Kildare area. Aim to play a different course every fortnight. Looking for members.

Setting up a Golf Society in the Newbridge/Naas/Kildare area. Aim to play a different course every fortnight. Looking for members.

Hi Cooly. I'd think about joining if I lived up there near ye and all those fine courses.

In relation to my last post, I've since been told that you can now play The Old Head of Kinsale for €60, (not a typing error), if you have a group of 12 or more. €315 less than you'd have paid 2 years ago. I think that sums up the golfing situation in Ireland at the moment!

At that rate, ye'll probably get The K Club, Druid's Glen, The Heritage, Mount Juliet, The European Club, Portmarnock etc., for half nothing.

Good luck with the society.

.. I think that sums up the golfing situation in Ireland at the moment!

.. and much else. I read that parents of kids at private schools are facing a struggbel to pay fees, and all the other expenses that such education can incur.

A colleague, who pays an annual fee for a site for her mobile home, says that about one in four of the sites in that park are up for sale - vans being put on sale seperately.

deals to be had everywhere on golf this year - some deals even come within the special birthday present budget.

With voucher from Kildare Village -

K Club for 2 people,

2 nights B&B + 1 dinner (pre recession full price €1250)
2 rounds of golf (pre recession €500)

€640 (€320 each!!!) - saving €1110 from celtic tiger prices!

Golf on its own early morning (before 9.30am) €60