Goldenisland SC Athlone - close to train station?

Bluebean

hi all,

Whereabouts in Athlone is the Golden Island shopping centre? How long (approx) would it take to walk to it from the train station? And in turn, if I wanted to take a look at the shops in Athlone town itself, would it take me a while to get from the shopping centre back to the shopping area in the town?

I'm debating taking the train but wondering if the car would be much handier.

thanks.

Whereabouts in Athlone is the Golden Island shopping centre?
Just to the east of the old town centre (Church Street)
How long (approx) would it take to walk to it from the train station?
10 mins.
And in turn, if I wanted to take a look at the shops in Athlone town itself, would it take me a while to get from the shopping centre back to the shopping area in the town?
5 mins.

Ubiquitous, thanks very much for the prompt reply. Sounds like it wouldn't be a problem to take the train and just take my time. I was just afraid it was way out of town and I didn't want to be dragging bags with me if it was.

Are the shops in town mainly along the same street? thanks again.

The shops in Athlone are
1.along the main st (Church St) mostly at the end towards the river. (Small independent shops) Take a look in Burgess, better than it looks.
2. Golden Island Shopping Centre and environs
3. Texas Shopping Centre (Texas itself is good but overlooked because its a bit tucked away) Only 3 or 4 minutes walk from Golden Island area.

If you do your shopping in this order you will be at the nearest spot to the train station when you come out of Texas,

Back