going to Slovenia any tips?

coleen

We are going to Slovenia in the end of May. We are flying to Treviso taking to bus to Mestre and then train to trieste we are thinking of spending the first night in trieste as we were in Venice last year. The next day we intend to travel by bus to Piran and stay 3 nights then on to Ljubljana for 2 nights and then on to bled for 4 nights. Has anyone been to trieste is it worth spending 1 night there? any tips on things to do or places to eat in any of the other 3 locations? we are in to walking cycling and any other outdoor things. we are also wondering if there is a place near treviso worth staying for the final night so as to be close to the airport on the last day even though the flight is late 9.30pm so we do have plenty time to get there. Is there other places worth going to from therse locations for a day trip. Thanks in advance

I was in Ljubjana a few years back and really liked it - small city but nice to walk around and enough to keep you interested for a weekend. Lake Bled would be a good place to got a day or even a stayover. Used to be the summer retreat for Tito apprently. Plenty of buses from Ljubjana to there.

Mestre to Trieste to Piran to Ljubliana is a long hike! A lot longer and slower than it looks on the map.

Unless you have a lot of time to spare, I would suggest going directly from Mestre to Ljubliana via Trieste.

A more interesting and romantic option might be to go to Gorizia via Udine, cross the Italy/Slovenia border at Nova Gorica and catch a train directly to Bled. The Nova Gorica-Bled train is a bit slow and rough and ready but brings you through some beautiful scenery.

I would not bother staying in Trieste. Its a bit of a dump and the people, in my experience, tend to be surly towards tourists.

Piran is nice in itself but may not be worth going so far out of your way for. Much better imo spending a longer time in Bled or Bohinj in the Julian Alps.

not worth spending any time in trieste - I did and wasted 2 nights - head straight for slovenia - really great place - in piran there is a restraunt on the sea front - it was the only one with white coated waiters when i was there - if you like your seafood get the lobster platter - fantastic

thanks for that I think I will skip Trieste as I did not get any positive views on it and head straight for Slovenia, Our flight to Treviso is 6.25 AM so that means we will be at the airport by 5.00am. I did not want to try and go 2 far the first day as we would be very tired. Half way between treviso and Trieste is a place called Carole on the coast has anyone been there would that be a worth while stop.

Re- Ubiquitous suggestion regarding the train from nova gorica to bled can anyone tell me how far it is from Gorizia on the Italian side to Nova Gorica on the Slovenia side is there a transfer between the 2 stations has anyone done this trip? I have checked the italian train times I can get a train from treviso to Gorizia at a suitable time so I just need to know about transfering between the 2 stations so if anyone has done the trip any advice welcome

Gorizia and Nova Gorica are twin towns on both sides of the Italy-Slovenia border. The Italian trains will leave you in the station in Gorizia, which is approx 2 miles to the Slovene rail station on the other side of town. You can walk it or get a taxi. Only problem with getting a taxi is that the taxis tend to take a siesta in the early afternoon. However if you do your research and have a taxi company number to phone, you should be able to get a taxi. The Slovene station is right on the border. Ask for the "piccolo" border crossing as there are 2 crossings.

Thanks for that. I will try and have a taxi organised so then it should work ok

Back