Going out sick during notice period

Chaser

Hello

Employee handed in resignation (one months notice in contract)
Employee did not want to honour this but did not try to negotiate a shorter notice period.
Employee then stated they were unable to work due to stress.
Next day email was received from employee's work email but stating it was a friend of employee.
Stating employee had accident - concussion and broken limbs - and would not be able to work rest of his notice period.

My question is - given that employee is unavailable to work (due to broken limbs) is Employer entitled to pay full notice period or does Employer pay sick pay and remaining notice period?

Thanks in advance

What are the sick pay arrangements (assuming certification by medical practitioner)?

I think the notice period is an entitlement of the employees..likewise if they go out on sivk leave and follow the prorocol ie with doc cert etc then they are entitled to sick leace during notice period.

First thing is for them to submit a doctor's note. I'm presuming that wouldn't be an issue given the severity of the injuries. If they can't supply one, then they've walked off the job, and possibly aren't entitled to any pay.

There's also the separate issue of their friend having access to their work email account. Normally that would be a disciplinary matter, but that won't play well if they actually have suffered the injuries claimed.

Probably you should now treat their accounts as compromised. Do you have a next of kin contact on file? Might be worth a phone call to check-in.

Even if someone used their email. So what? Its possibly a 1 strike disciplinary issue. The op is moving on anyway.

Depends on the industry, this could be a sackable offence for me! If employee shared their password with friend, then other IT systems may also be compromised. Potentially other confidential work product exposed.

I'm not suggesting sacking is appropriate here and pointless as you point out. But employer can't be seen to condone this by accepting communications from the friend on this channel, as it creates a precedent for other employees. Employer should also consider disabling their email and other accounts.

Last edited:
My advice. Stick to historical arrangements for sick-pay. Not worth fretting over. I wouldn't make a big deal of compromising systems either, or bad-mouthing employee. Just be glad you got rid.

Note, this thread was resurrected after 5 months and the OP hasn't come back to answer the initial response.

Back