Going Green in Terraced House

jennster

I live in the city in a terraced house and wonder if anyone has any experience of "going green" - using solar panels, wood pellet stoves etc. I have a pretty small garden so not an awful lot of space.

there are products similar to the above... im sure they would be fairly expensive though.

Thanks - though I think even that is outside the boundaries of possibilities for me (it's a really really small garden!)

the Basic Principles of going 'green' consist of 3 types:
Free
Low Cost
and Cost Intensive

Free includes principles like not leaving appliances on standby, not filling kettles for one cup of tea, pulling curtains to keep in heat, turn on and oof lights only when needed etc... all this kind of thing.. refer to the power of one website.
[broken link removed]

Low cost includes feature slight using CFL low energy bulbs, fix TRV thermostats to rads in order to increase control, draught proof windows / doors etc, purchase A rate appliances, get energy audit done for advice etc see http://www.nea.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=43&Itemid=74

Cost intensive can include increasing insulation levels in attic or walls where possible, changing boilers to a more efficient type, swap open fires for closed stove type, install renewable technologies such as wood pellet boilers, solar panels etc. These obviously take more time in planning and in budget, and are not suitable to every situation.

Thanks, Sydthebeat - I already do the first two categories (and have a wormery, recycle everything possible etc). Also just re-insulated with Kingspan. I was really wondering if it is possible to use solar panels or wood pellet boilers where space is an issue?

if you live in a terraced dwelling then you may only have two aspects to your roof.. if one is southerly then perfect..... if not then it may be an issue.. without knowing more then its hard to say...

as regards internal work to install solar panels... most systems require a new cylinder to be installed, which causes major work, however there is a system currently that doesnt need a new cylinder... see:
[broken link removed]

i havent personal experience with this, but it seems a good product.

From the wood pellet boiler point of view, id make the following comments:
if you dont have much rear garden space then bulk storage may be an issue... WPB are most economical when burning bulk pellets... buying in bag is currently as expensive a oil.
there seems to be an issue currently with the delivery of bulk pellets as well.. im open to contradiction on this.... especially in a terraced situation... something to do with the distance from truck to bulk storage..
oil burners start at about €700... WPB start at about €4000

is gas available to you?