Going abroad for a couple of yrs and renting out House

galleryman

Hi,

I'm planning to move abroad later this year, certainly for a year or more possibly for good.

I have a house here and having hard time deciding to sell it or rent out.
Pleanty of arguements for both.

If I rent out the house I may;
a) come back to Ireland in a year's time and want to move back in myself
b) decide to stay overseas and keep the house rented out
c) decide to stay overseas and sell the house in year or two's time

Can anyone offer any advice or warn me of any pitfalls to watch out for

thanks

I'm in the same situation myself, moving abroad for at least a year. Looking at renting out my house because I'm in negative equity so can't sell. I am waiting till the summer to rent it out otherwise I'll have to pay stamp duty because I own it for less than 2 years currently. Are you receiving TRS? If you rent out your home you will lose this

my TRS is small.

My concerns are:
1 - will my rent cover my mortgage + Tax + Estate Agent Fee
2 - What happens if I want to move back in or Sell i.e. do the tenants end up with more rights than I am confortable with.

to that end I am completely without experience and need some pointers.
Example, I heard that if you let the property fully furnished that you will find it easier to get tenants out at the end of a lease if you so wish....I have no idea if this is true or not.
Ending up with tenents that I can't remove, should I need to move back in or sell is a concern for me.

Just another thing to think of, if you not getting a managment agent , is there anyone would be the contact for your tenants and a key holder. In case of any problems etc.

just realised someone basically said the same thing!

Last edited:
Hi, citizensinfo is pretty useful, just had a look.

I will need a letting agent as unfortunately I don't have anyone who could drop by and sort things out.

Back